Literacy New York Greater Capital region is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing confidential instruction by trained staff and volunteers to individuals who wish to improve their reading, writing, math, and/or English fluency skills.
Anyone looking to volunteer in a fulfilling position that makes a difference is welcome to apply!
- Provide classroom instruction on the subject of the course (ESL, Citizenship, TOEFL, Adult Literacy)
- Play an active role in helping learners achieve their goals.
- Monitor and report attendance and progress, and address issues in a timely manner.
- Use a variety of activities and instructional methods to motivate students.
- Attend training sessions and staff meetings.
- English language fluency and strong command of English grammar.
- Knowledge of a second language is helpful, but not required.
- Experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring preferred.
- Training - training in lesson planning, classroom instruction, and classroom management.
- Schedule - minimum commitment of 4 hours per week. Fall semester runs Jan 16 - June 28.
- Location - Albany Public Library on Washington Ave
- Day and evening hours available.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 to 6 hours per week for 16 weeks