Literacy New York Greater Capital region is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing confidential instruction by trained staff and volunteers to individuals who wish to improve their reading, writing, math, and/or English fluency skills.
Anyone looking to volunteer in a fulfilling position that makes a difference is welcome to apply.
- Provide one-on-one instruction for English as a Second Language or Adult Basic Education
- Play an active role in helping learners achieve their goals.
- Send monthly attendance and progress reports
- Attend training sessions and staff meetings.
- English language fluency and strong command of English grammar.
- Knowledge of a second language is helpful, but not required.
- Experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring preferred, but not required.
- Training - our next tutor orientation will take place in February 2018.
- Schedule - minimum commitment of 2 hours per week.
- Location - tutors are needed throughout Albany country. Tutors meet with learners in a public location, such as a library or coffee shop.
- Please note that due to unpredictable demand, not all tutors are matched immediately. For this reason, we encourage volunteers who are able to commit to being available for at least one year.
Please contact our program coordinator, Christina Darling email@example.com.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 2 hours per week for one year.