This is your opportunity to help non-native English speaking citizens practice conversational English. Each week we will introduce a new topic that will help you make a connection and develop a conversation. Conversations and Connections!
We are seeking native English speaking volunteers to spend 90 minutes with a non-native English speaking student.
VOLUNTEER TIPS TO SUCCESS:
As a conversation partner, your main role is to facilitate conversation practice. You are not expected to function as an ESL teacher. Your aim will be to give your student ample speaking practice. Help your student build confidence in expressing their thoughts. A flowing communication of ideas is more important than accurate English usage.
Consider these tips to become an effective conversation partner.
- Speak at a natural pace
- Elaborate on topics
- Minimize error correction
- Include everyone
- Monitor native language use
- Have fun!
The agency requests only female volunteers to help teach the women participating in the course.
NOTE: To participate in this project
you must be a Jersey Cares volunteer.
To sign up as a Jersey Cares volunteer:
1. Visit www.jerseycares.org
2. Click on "Log-In"
3. Click on "Not a Member? Register"
4. Fill out all necessary information.
5. Register for a project!
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Newark Ambassadors
- Caring Closet in Newark
- Beach Sweep in Glen Ridge...
- Art of Life Therapy in Englewood
- Beach Sweep in Point Pleasant...
- Beach Sweep in Long Branch
- Homework Helpers in Little Ferry
- Beach Sweep in Belmar
- Earth Keepers in Jersey City...
- Marketplace in East Brunswick -...
- Hunger Helpers in Camden
- Marketplace in Clifton
- Bingo Time with Veterans in...
- Advanced Computer Essentials in...
- Marketplace in Mercer County
- Kiddy Care in Madison
- Art Expressions in Newark
- Marketplace in Paterson
- Book Buddies in Wayne
- Halloween Costume Sorting Party