This is your opportunity to help non-native English speaking citizens practice conversational English. Each week we will introduce a new topic that will help you make a connection and develop a conversation. Conversations and Connections!
We are seeking native English speaking volunteers to spend 90 minutes with a non-native English speaking student.
VOLUNTEER TIPS TO SUCCESS:
As a conversation partner, your main role is to facilitate conversation practice. You are not expected to function as an ESL teacher. Your aim will be to give your student ample speaking practice. Help your student build confidence in expressing their thoughts. A flowing communication of ideas is more important than accurate English usage.
Consider these tips to become an effective conversation partner.
- Speak at a natural pace
- Elaborate on topics
- Minimize error correction
- Include everyone
- Monitor native language use
- Have fun!
The agency requests only female volunteers to help teach the women participating in the course.
NOTE: To participate in this project
you must be a Jersey Cares volunteer.
To sign up as a Jersey Cares volunteer:
1. Visit www.jerseycares.org
2. Click on "Log-In"
3. Click on "Not a Member? Register"
4. Fill out all necessary information.
5. Register for a project!
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Earth Keepers in Essex County...
- Hunger Helpers in Newark
- Newark Ambassadors
- Donation Clean Up in Belmar
- Conversations and Connections in...
- Donation Delivery in Belmar
- Beach Sweep in Point Pleasant...
- Beach Sweep in Long Branch
- Homework Helpers in Little Ferry
- Earth Keepers in Jersey City...
- Donation Sorting in Short Hills
- Tutor and Mentor in Madison
- Earth Keepers in Watchung...
- Bingo Time with Veterans in...
- Advanced Computer Essentials in...
- Kiddy Care in Madison
- Book Buddies in Wayne
- College Readiness Academic...
- Camden Volunteer Recruiter
- Earth Keepers in Manchester