Volunteer General Counsel
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereThis is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
Centered in the emergency departments across the country, the National Alliance of Research Associates Programs, Inc. is a non-profit clinical research organization facilitating large scale, national, multi-center studies to increase the quality of health care delivery nationally, especially in the areas of screening and prevention. Our work engages vast numbers of pre-health professional students as data collectors in the studies, providing enhanced clinical opportunities unique to the research setting while teaching the fundamentals of interacting with patients.
Responsible for overseeing all of the legal affairs of the corporation, including 1) writing, reviewing, summarizing, researching and advising senior staff and the NARAP board on a wide variety of agreements and contracts; 2) assessing and managing, directly and where appropriate through outside counsel, all of the corporation’s legal matters, including overseeing of litigation and dispute resolution; 3) advising corporate executives and Board members on matters of corporate and nonprofit tax law; and 4) promoting compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
Reports to: CEO and COO
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review, write, and advise senior management regarding agreements and contracts.
- Offer counsel on a variety of legal issues.
- Advise executives within the corporation on legal risks and issues related to the conduct of all business issues and transactions and recommend policies, procedures and/or actions to mitigate or eliminate such risks
- Provide strategic insight and assistance with global joint ventures, strategic partnership deals, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Ensure legal objectives in all of the corporation’s operations are properly met.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company and its affiliates.
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Provide training to company and its affiliates on substantive legal topics.
- Willingness to work with a variety of people committed to the NARAP TEAM.
- Willingness to research areas of law that are particularly relevant to NARAP’s operations.
- The ability when necessary to identify and locate sources of expertise in specific areas of law, especially with respect to compliance issues at the state and federal level.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from accredited Law School.
- Actively licensed to practice law within one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience in nonprofit corporations preferably in health care.
- Familiarity with tax-exempt organizational requirements/nonprofit law.
- Familiarity with human resources practices, labor relations and contract negotiations.
- Some corporate transactional experience, including vendor contract review, mergers and acquisitions/ real estate and construction agreements/leases/IT agreements/physician service agreements/medical malpractice/loan documents/joint ventures.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment