Money Savvy Youth is a program that teaches basic money management skills through applied and interactive learning to elementary and middle school youth in Oakland schools. The goal of the program is to build financial capability for low income youth in underserved Oakland neighborhoods. This program is provided free of charge to schools and after school programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement MSY curriculum in a school day setting for 5 weeks and/or an after school day program for 12 weeks.
- Teach classroom of up to twenty five 4th or 5th grade youth.
- Prep curriculum materials, track data of attendees and surveys, and input data into an online database.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- At least 6 months experience working with youth ages 5-13.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Preference to individuals studying Liberal Arts, Youth Development, or seeking teaching credential.
- Must complete a Livescan background fingerprint clearance.
- Must provide evidence of negative TB test from last four years.
- Must be able to commit to, at a minimum, 6 hours of training and 12 hours of classroom instruction.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Volunteer receives six hours of free trainings and participates in three hours of co-teaching and coaching sessions. Training topics include: classroom management; inclusivity and cultural competence; and curriculum delivery. All volunteers also shadow and co-teach with EBALDC staff for their first three classes.
- Volunteer receives 12 hours or more of teaching practice, experience with delivering and evidence based curriculum, and experience with financial education programs.
For more information about EBALDC's Money Savvy Youth Program, please visit www.ebaldc.org/money-savvy-youth or contact Meg Heisler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Financial Literacy
- Youth Services
- Child Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours of training, at least 12 hours of teaching
- High School diploma or GED, proof of negative TB test