WhenMon Sep 04, 2017 03:30 PM - Fri Apr 20, 2018 05:30 PM
WhereFuture for KIDS on site @ Julian Elementary SchoolChange a life! Mentor Thursdays 3:30-5:302149 E. Carver DrivePhoenix, AZ 85040
'Discover Your Future’ is a mentor-driven, trauma-sensitive, out-of-school time program serving youth who face adversity. Our volunteers:
- Form a bond with youth by serving as a mentor and enrich the lives of youth who face adversity
- Work in small groups with elementary students grades 3-6
- Serve as a positive role model for youth
"You can see their confidence & strength growing each week... Seeing that light glowing within each child’s eyes could uplift anyone’s day... It especially did mine." - Zarinah
Specific opportunities to enrich the lives of youth within your small group of mentees are as follows:
- Facilitate ethics discussions on topics such as: honesty, forgiveness, responsibility, respect
- Assist small groups of youth with brain-stimulating academic activities (including STEAM activities)
- Read to youth and hold discussions
- Assist with fitness and athletic activities such as: football, obstacle courses, yoga, basketball...and many more!
The youth in our programs are hand selected and are faced with three or more Adverse Childhood Experience (ACEs). You will be trained prior to meeting with the youth to create positive and trusting relationships.
- 2 hour commitment per week
- Program runs Monday through Thursday at 11 different sites throughout the valley during the afterschool hours (Ranging from 2pm - 6pm)
- 2 hours with the youth. Mentors arrive 30 minutes prior to program start time for a mentor pre-meeting
- Mentors serve 26 consecutive weeks (September - April) as a role model to the youth
- Mentors choose from sites located in:
- Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Guadalupe, Paradise Valley
- Complete ACEs Certificate Training (provided by Future for KIDS)
'Discover Your Future’ Program Goal: To keep youth with ACEs engaged during vulnerable after-school hours and promote resiliency and confidence by providing them the opportunity to interact with caring mentors in a structured program environment.
- Child Development
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours/once a week
- Application & Interview
- 'Discover Your Future' - Mentor...
- Inspire a Youth...Become a Mentor!
- Mentor Teens to Become Leaders
- Become a Mentor - Central...
- Become a Mentor - Future for KIDS!
- Become a Mentor to Youth Facing...
- Inspire Youth...Future for KIDS!
- Become a Mentor for Youth Facing...
- Inspire Youth...Become a Mentor!
- Be a Mentor. Change a Life.
- Volunteer to be a Change Maker!
- Mentor Youth Affected by ACEs -...