Shelter Connect Liaison volunteers assist staff with operating the Adult Shelter Connect (ASC) office. The office provides assessment and placement for adults seeking shelter in Hennepin County. The Shelter Connect Liaison volunteer manages the order in which individuals meet with staff, answers general questions about the office, answers the phone, and may also provide assistance completing various benefits forms (such as SNAP/food benefits.)
The ASC office was formed by the Single Adult Shelter Collaborative and opened on October 17 th, 2016. Participating shelters include Catholic Charities, Our Saviour’s Housing, Salvation Army, Simpson Housing Services, and St. Stephen’s Human Services. The Adult Shelter Connect office is funded by Hennepin County and Simpson Housing Services oversees the day-to-day operations.
Sample Volunteer Tasks
- Assist staff with opening the Adult Shelter Connect office
- Greet individuals as they arrive and add their name to the list
- Locate individuals when staff are available to assist them
- Answer general questions about the office and nearby amenities (bathroom, water fountain, etc.)
- Make coffee
- Answer phones and handle general questions, direct intensive questions to staff members
- Check voicemail, return calls to people with general questions
- Listen to concerns/complaints from individuals experiencing homelessness
- Assist staff with closing the Adult Shelter Connect office, tidy the space for opening the following day
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Two shifts per month, for six months
- Shelter Support Volunteer
- Diaper Drive A-Go-Go!
- Welcome Home Basket Provider
- Shelter Connect Liaison
- Morning Rush Coffee Drive
- Lunch Provider for Shelter Guests
- Literacy Mentor
- Give a BOOST to Literacy...
- Shelter Hot Breakfast Provider
- Shelter Hot Evening Meal Provider
- Youth Group Overnight and...
- Tourists and Travelers: Give us...
- Undercover Drive!