Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which, for over 42 years, has engaged individuals and small business in community-building strategies that together lead to appropriate and equitable economic development in the Mission District. MEDA primarily serves low-income clients, focusing on the Latino and/or Spanish-speaking community. In accomplishing its mission, MEDA is involved in several distinct activities: small business assistance, housing counseling, workforce development, VITA taxes, financial education, community real estate and community lending.. We also devote resources to research and evaluation, community organizing and advocacy. In the process, MEDA is helping to develop best practices in the field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Volunteer Outreach Intern along with the Volunteer Services Manager, will be responsible for recruiting, training and coordinating volunteers within the various MEDA programs and building the capacity of Mission District residents to take an active part in the activities and work of the community. Focusing specifically on Mission Techies and VITA Program.
- Research, develop and maintain lists of potential volunteer groups and individuals
- Help develop outreach material.
- Attend Corporate site visits, networking events and other outreach events to recruit mentors for Mission Techies.
- Seek out school and community events and speaking engagements in order to recruit more volunteers for the VITA program.
- Help manage volunteer outreach using social networking tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist, Idealist.org, and VolunteerMatch.com
- Reply to volunteer inquiries providing information about the organization and matching to specific volunteer role
- Provide scheduled volunteers with necessary documentation in a timely manner, including waivers, directional maps, volunteer FAQs, and other necessary documents
- Assist with data entry and ensure data quality of volunteer statistics
- Plan and facilitate Volunteer Committee meetings including distributing agenda and taking minutes
- Experience in community organization or recruitment.
- Experience creating Power points and or Prezi presentations.
- Demonstrated skill in coordinating projects and events.
- Excellent attention to detail and record-keeping skills.
- Friendly demeanor, motivating and inspiring to a diverse population of teens and adults.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Poise and confidence with public speaking.
- Spanish fluency preferred. Professional or personal or experience working with communities of color required.
- November 2016 -April 2017
- 12-15 hrs. a week
- Between the hours of: 10-7pm
Please submit your resume to Lucia Obregon email@example.com
- Human Resources Training & Development
- Public Speaking
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment