Operation Food Rescue, is a collaborative initiative that connects food banks, pantries and emergency meal providers with leftover food from vendors in Philadelphia. It diverts food waste while simultaneously providing safe and dignified meals to food insecure populations. Food donors upload their donation onto the Food Connect app and a driver is dispatched to pick-up the donation and safely deliver it to a food pantry or emergency meal site. The initiative launched during the Democratic National Convention and between July 21 st-July 28 th rescued 11,239 pounds of food. Because of the effort’s success during the DNC, we are continuing the effort. We are seeking committed volunteer drivers to serve as liaisons between donors and recipient organizations.
Volunteer drivers are critical for picking up surplus food from donors and safely delivering it to the appropriate recipients. Drivers are also be responsible for logging the type and quantity of donations at pick-up and for ensuring that the food is appropriately packaged to transport to recipients according to food safety regulations. Drivers will collect a signed release form from the vendor and the recipient and will collect a signed receipt from the recipient upon delivery- all of this is done on your smartphone.
We cannot anticipate how much food will be rescued during a typical day or how appropriate the leftover food will be for the emergency meal sites and pantries. Therefore, volunteer drivers will sign-up to be on call.
As a driver, you will be an important part of an exciting initiative that connects leftover food with those Philadelphians who need it the most!
- Be part of an exciting collaborative initiative and learn more about food insecurity in Philadelphia
- Flexible schedule- sign-up to drive at times that work for you
- Gain valuable experience learning about and communicating with vendors, recipients, and partner organizations
- Support Philadelphia emergency meal sites and food pantries better serve their clients
- Receive a training on food safety regulations
If you have any questions, please contact Katie Dockhorn at email@example.com or 267-888-6421.
To learn more about Food Connect, and the app that facilitates donations, please visit: http://www.foodconnectgroup.com/
- People Skills
- Google Apps
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of one 3 hour shift per week
- Must own an iphone or android and have access to a vehicle to transport food