ABOUT THE IRC:
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading non-sectarian non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency, and ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing
IRC SAN JOSE:
As one of the IRC’s 26 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1975, the San Jose office has resettled over 20,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
For IRC clients to be become fully self-sufficient, they must be taught how to obtain gainful employment as well as financial literacy. The Refugee Empowerment Assistant will help with the Job Readiness classes and its curriculum which provide refugee clients workshops on resume writing, mock interviews, and job search skills. Additionally, the volunteer will help facilitate IRC’s financial literacy classes that provide invaluable economic knowledge to our clients.
Volunteers will work closely with the Match Grant team to provide essential job readiness and financial literacy assistance to clients. Interns will improve, modify, and expand on the job readiness and computer literacy curriculums. Volunteers will work closely with clients to monitor their understanding of the Match Grant program and their progress towards their first job.
This volunteer assistant position is unpaid.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Teach and monitor workforce training/readiness courses.
- Coordinate clients to assigned classes and track attendance.
- Create and revise employment training curriculum.
- Coordinate with job readiness volunteers.
- Provide one on one assistance when needed with students.
- Outreach to agencies, policy groups, and other entities that may be of assistance.
- Help and coordinate transportation needs for client job interviews.
- Understand the details of the IRC employment program as well as other IRC programs and services.
- When needed, help with transporting refugees to appointments.
- Interest in human rights, forced migration, and/or human trafficking
- Experience with teaching adults English or workforce training from low income and diverse backgrounds preferred, though not required.
- Must have a solid knowledge of resume writing criteria as well as employment practices.
- Proficient computer use such as MS Office and Windows.
- Must be comfortable with outreaching to employers on the phone and in person.
- Valid driver’s license and a vehicle with valid insurance are required.
Apply by sending your resume and a cover letter as a single Word document, titled "Economic Empowerment Program Volunteer", to the Volunteer Coordinator at volunteerSJ@rescue.org
Cover letters should clearly state your time availability, which includes 1) a specific, projected start and end date, 2) the number of hours you are available each week, and 3) the days and times in which you are available
- Teaching / Instruction
- Financial Literacy
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 4 month commitment, 15-20 hrs per week
- Min 18 years old, drivers license required
- Russian Speaking Immigration...
- Immigration Program Assistant
- ESL Program Intern
- Administrative Assistant
- Employment Program Intern
- Spanish Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Assistant
- Mandarin Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Intern
- Immigration Program Intern
- Vietnamese Speaking Immigration...
- Economic Empowerment Assistant