The Palisadoes Foundation focuses on software engineering eduction in Jamaica. We need your help to spread the word.
About the Role
The Palisadoes Foundation is looking for volunteers to assist in our marketing and communications efforts. This will involve the creation and implementation of a simple fundraising marketing and external communications strategy for the organization.
This position will provide the volunteer substantial experience in nonprofit development and management, events planning, assisting with researching donor prospects, solicitation strategizing, as well as additional experience working with other volunteers helping to promote education on the island.
Below are examples of tasks the volunteer will be asked to complete.
Volunteer Job Description:
You will work in collaboration with essential members of the Palisadoes Foundation team. Responsibilities will be tailored to the specific volunteer, and may include, but are not limited to:
- Updating social media sites and exploring new potential social media channels
- Design of promotional materials, presentations, etc.
- Graphic design of PR and marketing materials etc.
- Compiling information/statistics/photos to enhance content on our communication channels. This would include creating an online photgraphic database of our activities, and/or ensuring that someone is available to photograph all key events and ensuring that permissions for photography have been granted.
- Planning and writing a blog each month for the foundation website. This could be based on our activities, a profile of a volunteer, or another aspect of Palisadoes.
- Email marketing to our established mailing lists.
- Writing a press release every two months with a view to obtaining media coverage; responding to any resulting media interest, and working with our team to obtain the necessary information, photographs and interviews if required.
- Search Engine Optimization: Updating our website content to make it more easily found by relevant internet users.
- Increasing inbound links to the Foundtion’s website: Researching and updating online listings and negotiating reciprocal links with likeminded websites such as those relating our goals.
- Support during fundraising events
- Interest in the areas of international economic development via youth education;
- Availability to volunteer 3-5 hours per week
- Has a strong sense of personal responsibility, with a strong moral compass and high ethical
- Strong writing skills.
- Real, valuable work experience in an innovative and growing NGO;
- Fundraising experience (extremely important in non-profit sector);
- Opportunity for contacts and networking with professionals in the NGO sphere;
- Experience in a professional non-profit environment;
- Certificate and recommendations upon successful completion of planned activities
The Palisadoes Foundation LLC is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in California. It was conceived by a group of Jamaican technology professionals interested in assisting in the continued development new and existing technologies in Jamaica.
Palisadoes focuses on the field of software engineering eduction. The field is a growing extension of Jamaica's successful call center service sector. A workforce educated with the required skills is important in the development of any modern economy. Fortunately, many of the required tools and educational materials are freely available on the Internet. Access to mentors is facilitated by web conferencing too.
About the Calico Challenge
The annual Calico Challenge, run by the Palisadoes Foundation in collaboration with the Jamaica Computer Society, takes advantage of this access to provide stipends for students to participate in international open source projects under the guidance of a mentor.
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2-3 hours per week