Title: Certified Assistant Dog Trainer
Reports To: Executive Director
Compensation: Partti me salary comensurate with experience
The Assistant Trainer will plan, direct and implement the Pets Loyal 2 Vets service dog training program and training schedule in conjunction with the Master Trainer and PL2V’s objectives and overall mission. If you feel you are close to having the skills and experience we are looking for, must be CGC and CCPDT certified. If you are serious about training dogs for Minnesota veterans and live close to our training facility, we want to hear from you.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide overall leadership, support and direction for the care and maintenance of all PL2V candidate dogs and associated supplies, equipment and dog-related facilities. Attend monthly Board meetings. Provide input into the number of dogs trained and veterans served, as well as the budget and resources required to meet the deliverables.
2. Develop, maintain and implement PL2V’s animal training manual in accordance with PL2V’s defined training plans and objectives, ADI, AKC, ADA specifications and with guidance from PL2V’s Executive Director and Master Trainer. Adhere to the training manual throughout the training process to ensure delivery of high-quality dogs. Ensure all elements of animal care are consistent with the overall training program, and all personnel interacting with the dogs do so under your guidance and direction.
3. Develop and maintain the records, logs, forms and processes necessary to implement the program and comply with all standards.
4. Promote PL2V’s mission and objectives, and especially the training program, both internally and externally. Attend PL2V events in support of the organization and reflect PL2V’s mission, values and objectives in all interactions with both internal and external customers.
5. Assist the organization, as required and/or directed by PL2V’s Executive Director, in identifying, screening and sourcing appropriate candidate dogs for the PL2V program. Further define and qualify specific dogs for the different levels of veteran care required (companion, service, therapy). Work with foster dog volunteers to instruct them per PL2V training guidelines with and in the absence of the Master Trainer.
6. Must be certified in CGC, a skilled AKC evaluator, Therapy Dogs International TDI certified through Pet Partners or Assistance Dogs Internatiuonal ADI certified a plus or be able to get certified very soon and obtain any other certifications deemed necessary to stay current in these certifications.
7. Conduct confidential meetings and training sessions with veterans to be paired with a dog. Assist the Executive Director in screening potential candidates and aid in the interviewing process. Meet with candidate veterans to interview in a confidential manner to determine specific needs and identify specific training protocols to meet their needs with a highly trained service dog.
8. Besides your in house duties, you may be attending special events, public socializing, attend photo shoots, fundraising events, media and public relations events, annual banquets and other events as required showcasing our dogs.
Education and Experience:
1. 2 year degree in Animal Sciences or, Veterinary Technician training and certification a plus
2. 3+ solid years of therapy dog training experience
3. Certifications: CGC, CCPDT, or ADI certification a huge plus, (TDI or ADI therapy dog certified, AKC Assistant Trainer/Screener a giant plus.) Additional certifications considered.
4. Physical requirements: Able to stand and be on your feet training; lifting dogs when required, training and socializing.
Pets Loyal 2 Vets is looking to fill this parttime paid position asap. If you feel you are qualified to fulfill this position and have been training dogs and would like to discuss this exciting position further, please give our Executive Director, Jeff LeBaron a call at 612-396-3369. This is a paid position and one we take very seriously. You must not have any conflicts of interest and absolutely love working with dogs and people.
For information on PetsLoyal2Vets programs, visit our web site at www.PetsLoyal2Vets.org. Go to the volunteer tab and select positions. Click or copy this link to apply via our web site at http://petsloyal2vets.org/jobs/master-dog-trainer/ it is the same application for master and assistant position.
Male or Female Veteran preference a plus
We are looking for highly trained trainers within the Twin Cities who have no conflicts of interest. Applicants who do not qualify or are from outside the Twin Cities will not be considered or responded to.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 24
- Orientation or Training
- To be determined