Crisis Text Line provides free, nationwide, 24/7 support for people in crisis, all via text message. The service is powered by volunteer Crisis Counselors who work remotely anywhere with a computer and secure internet connection. Crisis Counselors answer texts from people in crisis, bringing them from a hot moment to a cool calm through active listening, collaborative problem solving, and safety planning. Apply to volunteer at crisistextline.org/volunteer
HOW DO YOU BECOME A CRISIS COUNSELOR?
- Step 1: Fill out the 30-minute application at crisistextline.org/volunteer
- Step 2: Consent to a background check
- Step 3: Complete the 30-hour web-based training
- Step 4: Take your first shift and start changing lives! You will commit to volunteering 200 total hours, at your own pace. Shifts are two hours long.
- Learn skills. In 30 hours, you’ll walk away knowing active listening, collaborative problem solving, and crisis management. (These are skills that will help in your personal relationships too!)
- Train & volunteer from the comfort of your home.
- Oooh, impressive! Our Crisis Counselors highlight the training on their resumes when interviewing for jobs, applying to grad school, and building out their LinkedIn profile.
VOLUNTEER WORK THAT ENRICHES YOUR LIFE
- Level up. Earn volunteer leadership positions. Get the first crack at Crisis Text Line internships and job openings. Gain access to special privileges, including discounts and gifts.
- Hone your skills. Work alongside volunteers who are also social workers, therapists, and psychiatrists to sharpen your crisis counseling skills-while in your jammies, at home!
- Feel supported. This is a community. We support each other. We are a big awesome family.
We have over 200 Crisis Counselors in the Bay Area! We love holding fun meet-ups to swap tips and self-care methods, and just hang out - sometimes we even hold free yoga sessions!
Crisis Text Line’s presence is growing in the BayArea. In fact, we recently partnered with Golden Gate Bridge, Caltrain, San Francisco Department of Public Health, and SF Giants to spread the word about our resource. And this is just the beginning!
READY TO VOLUNTEER?
APPLY HERE: crisistextline.org/volunteer
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Crisis Intervention
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week for a year
- United States social security number, working computer with secure Internet connection