Every year at the Boys & Girls Clubs, we select high school Youths of the Year from our East Palo Alto and Redwood City Clubhouses. The selected representatives from each city then "compete" to be named overall BGCP Youth of the Year for the organization at our finals event. The representative then goes on to compete nationally with other BGCA youth from across the country. The selection evening is the biggest night of our year!
The stories our teens tell of resilience, character and accomplishment are energizing and inspiring.
We need commited individuals to help mentor these high schoolers as they prepare to deliver their speeches. We are looking for the following:
- Meet with your mentee once weekly for a total of 6 weeks (meetings can be arranged on your own time, so long as you can commit through Feburary. More details to come.)
- Experience with high school students is preferred
- Ability to review, edit and provide feedback on essays and speeches
- Ability to facilitate mock interviews and provide feedback
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Reading / Writing
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 90 min/week for 6 sessions
- Administrative Volunteer Needed...
- 1-1 Mentoring Opportunity! Coach...
- Help Kids with Homework at the...
- Spanish-Speaking Volunteers...
- Youth Academic Tutors Needed!
- Graphic Design Intern Needed for...
- Do you like LEGOs? Lego League...
- Volunteer with the Boys and...
- Dance Instructor for Boys and...
- Mentor a Student - Boys and...