Are you civically minded and have a passion for doing good in the world? Do you want to help be an instrument of change? The Alzheimer’s Association is seeking an energetic college student to help us in our Public Policy department.GENERAL SUMMARY:
This internship will involve working with the Public Policy team in many aspects of the chapter’s public policy efforts, including advocacy, government relations, and public health. This position is responsible for recruiting advocacy volunteers, coordinating legislative visits in district on state and federal levels, and implementing social media and letter to the editor campaigns.
- Work with Public Policy Manager and volunteers to educate elected officials (district, state, and federal) on all issues and legislation regarding Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia.
- Assist Public Policy Manager to coordinate advocacy events outside of chapter district, including, but not limited to, state and federal legislative advocacy days.
- Help organize and manage public policy presence at the annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s events.
- Candidate must be currently seeking a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field.
- Experience with or knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia is a plus.
- Computer skills necessary for communication, record keeping, and report generation; with proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Word & Excel) and Google applications; ability to learn new database software; Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is not required but a plus.
- Valid driver’s license; proof of valid insurance; outreach activities require use of own vehicle.
- Sense of humor .
- Desire to do good.
- 15 hours per week required.
- This internship is unpaid but college credit can be earned.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
1) General Knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease.
2) Why public policy is so crucial to public health and specifically Alzheimer’s disease.
3) How to communicate effectively with elected officials.
4) How to utilize social media in order to bring social change.
5) Learn how to write a publishable letter to the editor/ opinion piece.
6) How to empower individuals to be advocates.
To apply for this position please email your resume to Jennifer Braisted at email@example.com.
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hours a week