Join Freedom Project inside the Monroe Correctional Complex as we provide opportunities for folks who are incarcerated to practice Nonviolent Communication and mindfulness. We are particularly looking for volunteers who bring facilitation experience or interest. Our volunteer facilitators collaborate with mentors (folks on the inside who are experienced in NVC and mindfulness) to plan and implement classes and workshops.
Freedom Project classes run from 12 to 20 weeks at a time on Mondays (mindfulness) and Wednesdays (Nonviolent Communication) from 5:50 to 7:50 PM. NVC class series include an Introduction to NVC, an intermediate Practice Group, and an advanced Integration and Immersion class. Weekend workshops occur on the third weekends of the month from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Saturday and Sunday. Topics of these workshops alternate between a Basic Intro to NVC and "themed" NVC workshops (such as anger, grief, compassion, etc).
We expect class and workshop facilitators to have...
- Experience in facilitation or interest in expanding these skills
- A deep NVC or mindfulness practice
- A non-heirarchical and anti-oppressive approach in facilitation
- Social justice lens that brings an awareness of the prison system, mass incarceration, racial equity, and anti-oppression frameworks
- Time commitment of 6+ months (given the time it takes to process new volunteers through the prison and the long-term nature of our prison programming)
If you do not feel comfortable stepping into the facilitator position, please consider joining as a regular prison volunteer! We welcome skills of all levels, as there are many ways to engage within the prison classroom. Additionally, Freedom Project works to provide training opportunities around these various skills (including a monthly anti-oppression training, NVC trainings, and facilitation skill workshops).
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- On-going commitment expected throughout sessions
- Having a car is highly recommended (carpooling may be an option however)