Position Title:Support Group Facilitator
Goal of the Position:The facilitator for HMV’s support group will open up the discussion among clients to build a strong sense of group sharing by listening to the concerns of others in the group, articulating feelings, summarizing and encouraging other members to do the same. The facilitator is genuinely attentive to the needs of the group and believes in the value and benefit of the group process by successfully utilizing group facilitation techniques.
- Understand, communicate, and promote the purpose and value of HMV.Inc.
- In weekly support groups:
Establish and maintain group rules including confidentiality among participants.
Create and maintain a safe space at group for participants to share their feelings, experiences, etc.
Facilitate sharing of personal information from all participants by respectfully monitoring speaking time and encouraging input from all present.
Maintain primary focus in groups on participants and their needs.
Build community among participants.
Raise awareness and refer participants to other appropriate resources.
- Convey knowledge about trauma, its symptoms and current research developments.
- Facilitate support group meetings for approximately 3 hours per week for 12 weeks
- Hold meetings, as scheduled.
- Post signs with arrows to direct people to the meeting room on the day of the meeting.
- Promote weekly meetings.
- Set the tone for appropriate behavior of the group through empathy, humor, and openness.
- Acknowledge the support group’s affiliation with HMV.Inc and provide ample opportunity for group members to have access to resources and other services available through the organization.
- Moderate sharing during group discussion to keep the group within appropriate limits.
- Encourage group participants to provide mutual assistance and emotional support to each other.
- Assess when a group member needs more help than the group can provide and refer that person to the appropriate team at HMV.Inc.
- Communicate with the Program Manager regularly by submitting monthly attendance sheets in a timely manner, and requesting literature/brochures and any other information needed by group members from the Program Manager.
- Compassion for women who have experienced trauma or loss.
- Good listening skills
- Ability to suspend judgment while trying to understand from the client’s point of view
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to use humor while showing genuine care and compassion for the caregiver
- Willingness to accept and abide by HMV.Inc’s policies including completion of an application, signing a Conflict of Interest Statement, a Confidentiality Agreement, Support Group Affiliation Agreement, and Attendance Policy.
- Dependability and reliability
- 12 hours per month preparation for and follow-up of meetings, facilitation of meetings, and completion and submission of attendance reports
- Attendance at trainings as required
Benefits for Volunteer:
- Satisfaction in the support given to members of the group
- Opportunity to gain valuable job experience by networking with other professionals in the field .
- Increased awareness and understanding of trauma and loss.
- Crisis Intervention
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 12 hours per month preparation for and follow-up