13 people are interested
Support Veterans Going to College at A-B Tech
ORGANIZATION: A-B Tech Community College
Please visit the new page to apply.
13 people are interested
The Veteran’s Café is part of the Student Services Division at A-B Tech. A-B Tech recognizes that student veterans have unique challenges and greatly benefit from peer support and comradery; the Vet’s Café fills this need. The Café is a veteran’s only place where students can get a snack, do their homework, access computers, or hang out in a relaxed and supportive environment with other veterans. Volunteers are the heart of the Café making sure it runs smoothly, and snacks and coffee are always in abundance. They also create and maintain a welcoming and supportive environment by providing a listening ear and sharing their life experiences with students. Some Vet’s Café volunteer even offer tutoring assistance during their shifts at the Café.
- Be present in the Vet’s Café and build relationships with the students who come into the cafe
- Know about resources and point students towards those resources
- Keep the volume and language at a stress-free level
- Help with answering questions
- Set out snacks and keep the space tidied
- An application, background check and orientation/ brief training are required before starting this position.
- Must be able to commute to A-B Tech in Asheville NC. This position is in-person.
- Must have a social security number, be over the age of 18 and this position is not eligible for community service.
- Shifts occur Monday - Friday from 9 to 5 on scheduled school days.
- Must have patience and understanding while volunteering at the café
- Good listening and computer skills
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Volunteers with military (either active duty or family member) experience are preferred
- Comfortable and appropriate attire is required.
- Room temperatures are variable - please dress accordingly.
- Vet Café is in 108 Ferguson, 19 Tech Drive (off Victoria Rd) Asheville NC 28801
Health and Safety:
- For current COVID-19 guidelines visit https://abtech.edu/COVID
Founded in 1959 in the heart of Asheville, A-B Tech is the largest higher education institution in Western North Carolina, serving approximately 23,000 students a year in Buncombe and Madison counties. One of 58 community colleges in the NC Community College System, A-B Tech offers 190 degrees, diplomas, and certificates, as well as a wide range of workforce training and continuing education programs. A-B Tech includes the main Asheville campus, A-B Tech Enka (home of the A-B Tech Small Business Center and Business Incubation Program, Craft Beverage Institute of the Southeast and N.C. BioNetwork), A-B Tech Madison, A-B Tech Woodfin, the Goodwill Center and the ABCCM Transformation Village in West Asheville, and a future location at Biltmore Park West. Learn more at abtech.edu. To learn more about our volunteering program visit www.abtech.edu/volunteer.
About A-B Tech Community College
340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801, US
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College inspires, nurtures, and empowers students and the community toward a better quality of life through progressive teaching, bold innovation, and supportive collaboration.
Volunteers are a vital part of achieving our mission of student success while delivering quality education to enhance academic, workforce, and personal development. Volunteers from all backgrounds serve in various capacities across all our campuses, from administrative support to tutoring.
Learn more about A-B Tech at https://abtech.edu/
A-B Tech Community College (Ferguson Building)340 Victoria RoadAsheville, NC 28801
November 16, 2023
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- General Education
- Veteran Care
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Able to work a shift (3 hours or more) Monday – Friday from 9 to 5 on scheduled school days. Times will vary in the Summer and closed for school holidays, breaks and between semesters.
- A-B Tech is excited to welcome dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to its campus to mentor and tutor students.