SAIDE aims to empower and promote participation of vulnerable and disadvantaged members of the society in socio- economic activities through capacity building, training, research and the establishment of IGAs for sustainable development.
SAIDE is seeking an innovative intern who is passionate about literacy and extracurricular to establish mechanisms for sustainability of their existing programs (e.g. debate, mentorship, computer instruction), and to implement additional programs to enhance literacy in the Sabatia area. A background in or some basic knowledge of fundraising would be beneficial (though a willing attitude is welcome as well), since one of SAIDE's desires is for guidance in this area. SAIDE has already seen exciting results in developing a local culture of reading, and would offer the opportunity to work with school-age youth, and overall, a meaningful internship experience.
- Student studying sociology, leadership, education, sociology, or related field
- Motivated to work in rural areas and among underserved populations
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and with little material resources
- Culturally respectful, wants to learn more than teach
- Curious, innovative, and quick learners
- Resilient, open-minded, and hard-working
- Creative and positive problem-solver, adaptable to challenging environments
- Genuinely interested in community development and integrating into the community
Interns will receive in-country orientation upon arrival facilitated by the FSD site team, which includes training in sustainable development principles, health and safety, cultural integration, and project management. After orientation, interns live with host-families and work full-time at the organization Monday-Friday. In the first week at the organization, the intern will gain an understanding of ongoing initiatives and conduct field visits to learn about the communities they serve. The supervisor and intern will collaborate to develop a workplan and budget that focuses on a specific youth/environmental project that addresses the long-term needs of the community. FSD will facilitate reflections and a midterm retreat, as well as provide project planning support and collect deliverables.
Internship program includes airport pick up, accommodation and meals, supervision, pre-departure training, on-site orientation and in-country support, medical/evacuation insurance, and project seed fund.
- Literacy / Reading
- Basic Computer Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Database Administration
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Minimum 9 weeks