Education & Empowerment: TechGYRLS STEM Coordination Team Intern (with stipend)
Locations: YWCA Silicon Valley, Linda Haskell Empowerment Center, 375 South Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112, and one or more of the following locations:
- Ocala Middle School, 2800 Ocala Avenue, San Jose, CA 95148
- Cassell Elementary School, 1300 Tallahassee Drive, San Jose, CA 95122
- Hoover Middle School, 1635 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126
- John Muir Middle School, 1260 Branham Lane, San Jose, CA 95125
- Canoas Elementary School, 880 Wren Drive, San Jose, CA 95125
- Mount Pleasant High School, 1750 South White Road, San Jose, CA 95127
Purpose: Proactively participate in the YWCA Silicon Valley’s mission - to eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all - by coordinating a diverse range of empowering experiences to provide girls with opportunities to increase their skills and confidence in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math, in collaboration with the San Jose State University Girls STEM Network Computer Science Curriculum Program.
- Working independently, and collaboratively as a member of a diverse team of Interns, Intern Assistants and other Volunteers, provide direction, instruction, support and guidance to facilitate the provision of hands-on STEM/Computer Science education to YWCA’s TechGYRLS Program participants.
- Support the engagement of girls in curriculum activities to stimulate a deeper interest in technology using critical thinking, time management, teamwork, problem solving, leadership, and presentation skills.
- Proactively participate in the planning, coordination and hosting of Special Events, Field Trips and Small Projects.
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements, and organizational and departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Experience working with children ages 8 - 18 in a STEM/Computer Science education capacity with a hands-on learning focus.
- High level of interest in, and a commitment to, continuous learning about the provision of STEM education to children.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek guidance, direction and input from others.
- Ability to practice cultural humility, i.e. maintain an interpersonal approach that is other-oriented in relation to aspects of cultural identity that are most important to the person. Ability to work with/support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Commitment to developing knowledge, skills and abilities to better connect with individuals and communities, and to gaining more insight into personal biases and identities. This includes, and is not limited to, treating all people with respect and dignity, recognizing and appreciating cultural differences, and working to interact with greater cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of training/orientation sessions to develop personal comfort level in classroom management, hands on STEM/Computer Science education, and the San Jose State University Girls STEM Network Computer Science Curriculum.
- Clearance on a background check, including DOJ & FBI fingerprinting.
- Submitted documentation that confirms an absence of active Tuberculosis.
- A valid California Driver License and a reliable and insured DMV registered vehicle.
- Completion of all policies and procedures documentation.
- Preferred but not required (mandatory for driving on behalf of the YWCA to perform agency business): i) A minimum of 4 years driving experience, ii) vehicle insurance with a single limit liability of $100,000 for Bodily Injury and $100,000 for Property Damage, and (iii) the satisfactory completion of a Motor Vehicle Record Check.
Time Commitment: Volunteer 20 - 25 hours of service per week (post-orientation). Volunteer on a mutually convenient schedule on Mondays, and/or Tuesdays, and/or Wednesdays, and/or Thursdays , and/or Fridays. Must have availability 2:00pm - 5:30pm.
Stipend: $150 paid each pay period. Pay dates are on the 15 th of each month and the last day of each month.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Computer Science
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 20 - 25 hours per week