The Transportation Intern/Volunteer will assist Family Engagement Coordinator with assisting refugee families with navigation of school transportation processes. Position is designed to allow an individual seeking experience with duties aligned with social work, the American educational system, and diverse populations to receive experience in developing diverse communication skills.
Expected Educational Outcomes
- Develop an understanding of the day-to-day issues that refugee families face as they become part of contemporary American Society.
- Learn the processes associated with the American School system and EL Learners
- Foster cultural competence when working with diverse populations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist refugee families with school walking routes.
- Assist refugee families with identifying school bus stops.
- Ride Grand Rapids city bus with refugee students attending GRPS’s Union HS on students first day.
- Complete understanding of public bussing system in the greater Grand Rapids Area
- Strong verbal skills.
- Ability to work with children of all ages (K-12).
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Access to transportation.
- Child Care
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Case Work / Management
- Bus/Van Driving
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2-10 Hours Weekly (Flexible)
- We will work with your schedule!