The School Enrollment Intern/Volunteer will assist Family Engagement Coordinator with school enrollments for a large and constantly growing case load. The majority of work will be enrollment of refugee students ages 5-18 into Kent and Ottawa public school districts. Position is designed to allow an individual seeking experience with duties aligned with social work, the American educational system, and diverse populations to receive experience in both the United States School System and interpersonal skills.
Expected Educational Outcomes
- Develop an understanding of the day-to-day issues that refugee families face as they become part of contemporary American Society.
- Develop knowledge of casefile maintenance.
- Learn the processes associated with the American School system and EL Learners.
- Foster cultural competence when working with diverse populations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete school enrollment packets.
- Coordinate translation and school enrollment meetings.
- Conduct school enrollment home visits.
- Provide transportation to for refugee families to schools for orientations.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Data Entry
- Adult Education
- Problem Solving
- Case Work / Management
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2-10 Hours Weekly (Flexible)
- We work with your schedule!
- Spend your Summer Helping...
- Case File Volunteer
- Tutor Refugee Children With Us!
- Refugee Parent Engagement...
- Help Refugee Kids walk and bus...
- Refugee School Enrollment...
- Google Doc. Volunteer!
- Do you speak another language?...
- Be a peer support mentor to...
- Data Entry Intern/ Volunteer
- Logistics Intern/Volunteer
- We need Volunteer Drivers!
- Volunteer Services Intern Staff