Help a Child with their Reading Skills
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
324 people are interested
Spend just an hour a week and help ensure success for a young person!
San Francisco Public Library is bringing its FOG Readers program to the Main Library and to many branch locations, to help young people catch up to grade-level reading or strengthen their skills.
We are seeking volunteers to work one-on-one with students using the FOG (Free Orton-Gillingham) Readers method, which employs multisensory learning, phonics-based instruction, and other tools to demystify the process of reading.
Volunteers will attend three 2 hour training sessions and then be matched with an elementary school student. Volunteers and their learners will meet at least once a week at the library after school, in the evenings, or on the weekend. SFPL will provide all materials and training, as well as offer ongoing support.
- Enjoy working with young people and exhibit patience
- Be at least 15 years of age
- Be willing to undergo a standard fingerprinting and background check (Requires SSN)
- Commit to the three training sessions and at least one hour of tutoring per week for at least 6 months
- Be excited to share a passion for reading!
Benefits of volunteering:
- Make a meaningful, lasting difference for a child by building critical literacy skills.
- Serve your community
- Learn valuable skills tutoring and mentoring that can be applied to other areas of life
Our next training sessions (all three are required) will take place in the meeting/training room in the Main Library Children’s Center (100 Larkin Street) located on the 2nd floor on:
- Tuesday, September 10, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, September 11, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
- Thursday, September 12, 6:00-8:00 pm
Interested in helping out? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to start the process.
We'll work with your schedule.
San Francisco Public Library-All locations100 Larkin StreetSan Francisco, CA 94102
- Literacy / Reading
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours of training, 1 hr/wk, 6 month commitment
- Be at least 15 years of age, Undergo a standard fingerprinting and background check (SSN required)