Spend just an hour a week and help ensure success for a young person! San Francisco Public Library is bringing its FOG Readers program to the Main Library and to many branch locations, to help young people catch up to grade level reading or strengthen their skills.
We are seeking volunteers to work on-on-one with students using the FOG (Free Orton-Gillingham) Readers method, which employs multisensory learning, phonics based instruction, and other tools to demystify the process of reading. Volunteers will attend four 1.5 hour training sessions and then be matched with a student in grades 1-4. Volunteers and their learners will meet at least once a week at the library after school, in the evenings, or on the weekend. SFPL will provide all materials and training, as well as offer ongoing support.
- Enjoy working with young people and exhibit patience
- Be at least 15 years of age
- Be willing to undergo a standard fingerprinting and background check (Requires SSN)
- Commit to the four training sessions and at least one hour of tutoring per week for at least 6 months
- Be excited to share a passion for reading!
Benefits of volunteering:
- Make a meaningful, lasting difference for a child by building critical literacy skills.
- Serve your community
- Learn valuable skills tutoring and mentoring that can be applied to other areas of life
Our next training sessions will take place in the meeting/training room in the Main Library Children’s Center (100 Larkin Street) located on the 2nd floor on:
- Tuesday, April 3, 6-7:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 4, 6-7:30 pm
- Tuesday, April 10, 6-7:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 11, 6-7:30 pm
- Mission Branch, 300 Bartlett St.
- Parkside Branch, 1200 Taraval Street
- Excelsior Branch, 4400 Mission Street
- Bayview Branch, 5075 3rd Street
- Ingleside Branch, 1298 Ocean Ave
- Portola Branch, 380 Bacon Street
- Ortega Branch, 3223 Ortega Street
Interested in helping out? Please e-mail email@example.com to start the process.
- Literacy / Reading
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours of training, 1 hr/wk, 6 month commitment
- Be at least 15 years of age, Undergo a standard fingerprinting and background check (SSN required)