The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health care, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries, with special programs designed for women and children. Every year, the IRC resettles thousands of refugees in 26 U.S. cities. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC SAN JOSE:
As one of the IRC’s 26 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1975, the San Jose office has resettled over 20,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
This year, the IRC in San Jose will be resettling international refugees from Eritrea, Burma, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, and various other countries. In order to provide our full range of acculturation services, an administrative assistant is required to facilitate the functions of our office. As an administrative assistant, a primary part of your job is reception. At reception, you will be the first point of contact for IRC's clients and you will handle the flow of clients through the office, answer and forward incoming phone calls, schedule appointments, and provide general office support. Ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment is essential.
Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. We have a six month minimum commitment for this position, which ensures enough time for you to move beyond training and into meaningful work.
This position allows for great learning and responsibility on part of the candidate, and is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to gain hands-on experience to work in the nonprofit sector.
15 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months. Hours can be completed during normal business hours of Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm. IRC is committed to working with student and personal schedules. As such, we are flexible to accommodate time off for midterms and holidays, etc.
This position is unpaid.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Reception: answer and forward incoming phone calls and control the flow of clients into the office
- Administrative Support: assist in scheduling appointments for appropriate staff and volunteers
- External Communication: contact and respond to IRC clients' emails and calls promptly
- Internal Communication: effectively communicate with and gather information from staff and other volunteers to help clients with their questions.
We require that candidates have the following qualities:
- Solidly reliable with strong attention to timeliness
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors);
- Possess a great attention to detail and be truly organized
- Have a strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Computer literacy with PC systems
- Energetic and friendly
- Enjoys working with people and is comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
Apply by sending your resume and a cover letter as a single Word document, titled "Administrative Assistant Volunteer", to the Volunteer Coordinator at volunteerSJ@rescue.org
Cover letters should clearly state your time availability, which includes 1) a specific, projected start and end date, 2) the number of hours you are available each week, and 3) the days and times in which you are available.
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15-20 hours per week, minimum 6 months
- Hours to be completed between 9am - 5pm, Monday through Friday
- Russian Speaking Immigration...
- Immigration Program Assistant
- ESL Program Intern
- Administrative Assistant
- Employment Program Intern
- Spanish Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Assistant
- Mandarin Speaking Immigration...
- Refugee Resettlement Intern
- Immigration Program Intern
- Vietnamese Speaking Immigration...
- Economic Empowerment Assistant