Immediate need for Project Managers to team up with other Project Managers to lead the back end design and development of a unique highly interactive software program and database. Manage and mentor virtual volunteers with intermediate and advanced skills in programming a unique, educational, multi-media, software program with an interactive database. We have two to four Front End Project Leaders and 2-3 the Back End Project Manager to keep continuity in the project at all times. Currently there is an opening for one Back End Project Manager. The Project Managers for the Back End will decide together how to split or share the Back End responsibilities of overseeing the Back End assignments, volunteers, code review and testing.
Strengthen your resume, while helping a worthy cause, by leading the design and development of a best-in class, highly interactive, educational software program on personal finance for 16-19-year-olds.
App to Succeed Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that aims to eliminate poverty in the United States by providing best-in-class, comprehensive personal finance information for at-risk Americans to enable them to become and remain financially responsible, self-sufficient and successful.
Lead a team of design and development volunteers to complete two segments of the software program, this includes:
- Formatting and inputting written and visual content.
- Connecting database with user input
- Auto populating data from database in program to customize user's experience.
- Testing function and speed.
- Programming navigation functions.
- Progress bar and other custom features.
This assignment is virtual and work is done remotely, unless the volunteer resides in the Stamford, CT area; where there is the opportunity to work at the headquarters.
As a nonprofit, we are not, yet, able to pay our volunteers, but we do offer other forms of compensation:
- For completing your commitment to the volunteers, your name will be acknowledged on the organizations' website and in the credits of the software program when published.
- Those who exceed expectations and make a significant contribution will receive a personal letter of reference written by the CEO.
- Academic credit and / or community service hours are given, with school approval.
- Volunteers who meet expectations and complete their assignments well enough to use in the program, will receive a Service Certificate.
- Volunteers will benefit from personal finance information that he/she learns from working on the project.
- Hours are flexible
- Work can be done remotely and communication can be done by Skype, email or phone; saving the time and cost of commuting.
- The number of weeks and hours per week will be determined based on the volunteer’s abilities, scope of interest, commitment and availability.
- Many of our volunteers take paid jobs elsewhere, not related to their career interest, while they do their career-related work with App to Succeed.
We are targeting an 2018 introduction. Project leaders must demonstrate commitment, excellent communication, computer, organizational, and project-management skills as well as the ability to efficiently and effectively motivate and lead volunteers to meet deadlines.
Lead volunteers to complete two segments of an educational software program by October 15, 2017. Then start on next segment.
Effectively manage volunteers to complete assignments from, but not limited to, the list below.
- Integrate animation with software content.
- Format and program software content and visuals.
- Add audio sound track to software
- Develop software, navigation and multimedia components to follow script.
- Draft or supervise the the development of the Back End portion of the Software Manual. Compile write-up step by step instructions for assignments:where to find the work, how you did it, how to change it, how to maintain and update it, so the next person who works on the assignment, can refer to it for efficiency, i.e.will understands what you have done and how and where you did it.
- Expand database interface with software and with website input and output.
- Expand ability for software to store input correctly in database and auto-populate software correctly from database.
- Develop ability for database to automatically email to appropriate individuals with appropriate information at the appropriate time.
- Ensure top security for software and database and website.
- Do all of your work with the best user experience in mind.
Professional, freelance software designers/developers, computer science graduate students or exceptional undergraduate students with experience and advanced coursework and experience in in software design and development and program management or project leadership. GPA 3.5+
Strong Preference for long term commitment (through launch in 2018) for continuity of the project.
Project Leader has the ability to:
- Ensure that back-end assignments are always available for back-end interns to access and work on
- Effectively organize software team, make assignments per each volunteer's interests and abilities
- Motivate and manage volunteers to complete their designated assignments on time.
- Effectively communicate questions, ideas, needs, status of progress, and requests for approval with nontechnical management.
- Work independently and virtually.
- Effectively motivate technical volunteers.
- Consult with volunteers on assignments on a timely basis.
- See that volunteers have the access, training and ability to deliver as assigned.
- Assist volunteers in problem solving as needed.
- Review code and labeling.
Preference for candidates who know how to integrate multimedia components (film, audio, animation, etc.) with software.
- SQL / MySQL
- Software Development
- Website Project Management
- Project Management
- Software Engineering
- Information Architecture
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 19
- Prefer 15+ hrs.< 4 mos. or 8-12 hrs.for 6-18 mos.
- Prefer project leadership experience in Database Design, Java software development, MySQL, PHP, html