About Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) and the GNP
Our mission at TEL HI is to enhance the lives of the people in our community. We accomplish this by providing free and low-cost programs and make our community stronger by focusing on helping people. For more information, check our website: http://www.telhi.org. The Garden and Nutrition Program’s (GNP) mission is to educate our participants on gardening, sustainability and nutrition. This is accomplished with regular garden and nutrition lessons where we cover all the basics such as seeding, water, MyPlate, whole grains, etc.
The Garden Intern assists the Garden and Nutrition Coordinator with garden maintenance (i.e. weeding, watering, harvesting, composting). The purpose of this internship is to learn about organic gardening techniques and gain insight into operations of a garden-based educational program.
The intern will:
- Practice gardening skills guided by the Garden and Nutrition Coordinator
- Experience first-hand the daily operations of a nonprofit garden education program
- Identify and implement a personal project by analyzing issues and implementing solutions related to a small-scale urban garden
Duties for the Garden Intern Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist with garden tasks (i.e. identifying plant disease, pests, watering, weeding, planting, harvesting, etc.)
- Help with programming, including curriculum development, teaching and setting-up/cleaning-up
- Assist with on-going projects according to organizational need and individual intern interest/skills
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with an interest in organic gardening and working with people. Excellent organization, communication and follow-through are required skills; must be able to receive directions and work independently; should enjoy working outside. Prior gardening experience is not required, but preferred.
Duration and Compensation
The Garden Internship is a 10-week unpaid position. The intern is expected to work 10 hours per week for the duration of the internship. The internship begins Fall 2016.
Application and Information
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with "Garden Internship" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please highlight previous relevant experiences in your cover letter.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 weeks