Volunteering at the Bureau of Fearless Ideas
The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas is powered by volunteers. From tutoring kids of all ages in every subject, to creating songs, writing stories, publishing books, hosting classes for field trips and working in Seattle schools, volunteers do it all. Whatever your secret (or not-so-secret) talent is, we can find a use for it at the Bureau to enrich kids’ communication skills and help them get that pesky (but important!) homework finished. Our volunteers are a diverse community of authors, scientists, teachers, artists, programmers, engineers, musicians, jacks-and-jills-of-all-trades, and Everyday Folk. We could use whatever ingredients you have to offer in our amazing community of do-gooders, so apply today!
- Help edit students’ written work and guide their research as part of a writing project that ends in a printed booklet and usually a release party.
- Travel to schools via car, bus, or carpool from North Seattle to various areas in the Seattle metropolitan area (focusing heavily on South Seattle, Burien and White Center areas).
- Work well with a diverse group of students, volunteers, teachers and staff.
- Nurture and encourage the creativity, spontaneity and thoughtfulness of the students and teachers in the schools we visit.
- Great command of the English language and an ability to guide children’s work to make them a better and more skilled writer.
- Comfortable with kids -- or willingness to get better.
- Shares our love of creativity, self-expression, storytelling and good humor.
- In School projects require the ability of volunteers to attend each session in a given project; each project has a different schedule and requires 2-3 hours a week, usually on the same day each week for short 4-6 week periods. For each project, we will reach out to you and see if your availability meets the project’s timeline.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Depends on project.