Sunday, November 13, is High School Quiz Show’s Super Sunday, and we need you!
Nearly 500 students representing 140+ public and private schools from across Massachusetts will fill WGBH on that day to take a qualifying quiz. The incentive? The top-scoring teams will compete in Season 8 of High School Quiz Show.
Please review the Super Sunday volunteer position descriptions listed below and email me at email@example.com if you'd like to help. Please make sure to include the following information in your email response:
- Your full name
- Preferred position
- Prior education and/or test giving experience (for Moderator position)
Volunteers are asked to make a full-day commitment, from9am-6pm (breakfast and lunch will be provided).**Please note, Super Sunday volunteers must attend a training session on Thursday, November 10 from 6:30pm-8pm.
Moderator (must be 25+ years)
- Enforces all rules in a fair and judicious manner
- Reads all questions and determines if the given answer is correct or incorrect
- Spells difficult or foreign words
- Keeps informal time count for responses
- Ensures materials and results remain confidential
- Position requirements: Moderators must have a clear voice and strong command of the English language. Prior education experience is also a plus.
Scorekeeper (must be 20+ years)
- Notes correct and incorrect answers on a score sheet while quiz is being administered
- Ensures score is consistent with the team coach’s score sheet after each section of the quiz is completed
- Adds up categories to determine the official score of the quiz
- Secures the signature of the coach, thereby signifying agreement on total point count
- Position requirements: Scorekeeper must be competent in math, organized and accurate.
Check out Volunteer (must be 25+ years of age)
- Assist with checking schools out after the quiz is finished
- Calmly and diplomatically record any disputes about questions or scores, from team coach
- Ability to stay calm, focused, friendly and keep accurate notes about the nature of the dispute
- Checkout sheet and advance copy of the quiz content will be provided
- Position requirements: Check out volunteers must have a clear voice and strong command of the English language. Prior education/test giving experience is also a plus.
- Greets teams and coaches as they arrive to 'GBH
- Checks schools off a printed registration list
- Answers general questions about the day’s events
- Distributes gift bags (one per team) as teams depart
- Position requirement: Registration volunteers must be friendly, organized and outgoing.
- Keeps guests out of the Yawkey Theater until its time for them to be matched up with Moderators and Scorekeepers
- Runs the elevator to testing room floors
- Checks testing rooms and signs on their floors; takes down signs at the end of the day
- Provides schools with directions to testing rooms, bathrooms, etc.
- Position requirements: Floaters must be friendly, outgoing and eager to provide assistance to guests.
Stay tuned for more opportunities to volunteer during High School Quiz Show taping days in January and February.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- 8 hours