Volunteering at the Bureau of Fearless Ideas
The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas is powered by volunteers. From tutoring kids of all ages in every subject, to creating songs, writing stories, publishing books, hosting classes for field trips and working in Seattle schools, volunteers do it all. Whatever your secret (or not-so-secret) talent is, we can find a use for it at the Bureau to enrich kids’ communication skills and help them get that pesky (but important!) homework finished. Our volunteers are a diverse community of authors, scientists, teachers, artists, programmers, engineers, musicians, jacks-and-jills-of-all-trades, and Everyday Folk. We could use whatever ingredients you have to offer in our amazing community of do-gooders, so apply today!
- Learn and carry out one or more roles in a field trip, which may include transcription, illustration, bookbinding, behind-the-scenes acting, story architecting with kids, light computer graphic work and/or typing really fast.
- Work in a fast paced environment to help a classroom full of kids write, edit, produce and go home with a book in two hours.
- Come to field trips consistently and predictably, giving notice if you can’t make it as far in advance as possible.
- Work well with a diverse group of students, volunteers and staff.
- Nurture and encourage the creativity, spontaneity and thoughtfulness of the students that visit our center.
- Not required at all, but helpful: fast typists, illustrators, light experience with Adobe InDesign.
- Flexibility and willingness to get the job done no matter the obstacles. New challenges constantly present themselves in our two-hour book-making deadline.
- Comfortable with kids -- or willingness to get better.
- Shares our love of creativity, self-expression, storytelling and good humor.
- Field Trips are from 9:45am to noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the school year. We ask that volunteers commit to Tuesdays or Thursdays (or both) for the length of the school year.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 9:45am-noon Tuesdays and/or Thusdays