Volunteering at the Bureau of Fearless Ideas
The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas is powered by volunteers. From tutoring kids of all ages in every subject, to creating songs, writing stories, publishing books, hosting classes for field trips and working in Seattle schools, volunteers do it all. Whatever your secret (or not-so-secret) talent is, we can find a use for it at the Bureau to enrich kids’ communication skills and help them get that pesky (but important!) homework finished. Our volunteers are a diverse community of authors, scientists, teachers, artists, programmers, engineers, musicians, jacks-and-jills-of-all-trades, and Everyday Folk. We could use whatever ingredients you have to offer in our amazing community of do-gooders, so apply today!
- Provide one-on-one or small group homework help to students in 7 th-12 th grades with patience and persistence.
- Provide positive mentorship as a role model and advice-giver to students.
- Help with or lead clubs as needed, including college essay writing sessions and/or SAT tutoring sessions if you feel comfortable with those.
- Work well with a diverse group of students, volunteers and staff.
- Nurture and encourage the creativity, spontaneity and thoughtfulness of our students.
- Ability to help with at least one school subject up to a 12 th grade level (English, math, science, social studies, languages, reading, writing).
- Comfortable with high school- and middle-school-aged kids -- or willingness to get better.
- Shares our love of creativity, self-expression, storytelling and good humor.
- Shifts are from 6pm-8pm Monday thru Thursday throughout the school year. Come in for regular shifts once or more a week.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Mon-Thur 6-8pm - One day per week or more