Volunteering at the Bureau of Fearless Ideas
The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas is powered by volunteers. From tutoring kids of all ages in every subject, to creating songs, writing stories, publishing books, hosting classes for field trips and working in Seattle schools, volunteers do it all. Whatever your secret (or not-so-secret) talent is, we can find a use for it at the Bureau to enrich kids’ communication skills and help them get that pesky (but important!) homework finished. Our volunteers are a diverse community of authors, scientists, teachers, artists, programmers, engineers, musicians, jacks-and-jills-of-all-trades, and Everyday Folk. We could use whatever ingredients you have to offer in our amazing community of do-gooders, so apply today!
- Provide one-on-one or small group homework help to kids in 2 nd-8 th grade with patience and persistence.
- Provide positive mentorship as a role model and advice-giver to students.
- Help with or lead clubs, game time, and other activities once homework is done.
- Work well with a diverse group of students, volunteers and staff.
- Nurture and encourage the creativity, spontaneity and thoughtfulness of our students.
- Ability to help with at least one school subject up to an 8 th grade level (English, math, science, social studies, reading, writing).
- Comfortable with kids -- or willingness to get better.
- Shares our love of creativity, self-expression, storytelling and good humor.
- After School Tutoring runs from 2:30pm-5:30pm Monday thru Thursday throughout the school year. We ask that volunteers pick a day (or a few) that they can commit to for the school year. Students will often memorize tutors schedules and count on their attendance on those days!
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2:30pm-5:30pm Mon-Fri Once per week or more.