Be the light in a senior's life by becoming a Friendly Visitor!
13 people are interested
What is the Friendly Visitor Program?
A sub-program of AmeriCorps, the Friendly Visitor Program (Legacy Corps for Veterans and Military Families) is designed to decrease caregiving burden and stress, and empower caregivers and care recipients through education and community resources to maintain and/or improve their quality of life. ACC has provided friendly visits to seniors since 2009.
I might be interested. What are my duties as a volunteer?
Provide on average 10-12 hours per week of in-home respite (a break) that enables the caregiver to attend to essential family or personal needs and/or events or activities that are vital to personal health or well-being.
- Respite activities may include:
- Conversation and companionship
- Arts and crafts
- Walking or other non-medical ambulatory exercises to maintain mobility
- Playing games, etc
- All activites are non-medical. These activities do not require medical, therapeutic or other licensed professional skills.
- Attend community outreaches to promote the Friendly Visitor Program to potential clients or volunteer
- Provide on average 10-12 hours per week of in-home respite and/or other activities that support caregivers and aging challenges.
What are the benefits?
- Receive a monthly stipend of $125
- $1,610.43 Education Award, upon completion of 450 hours. (Volunteers age 55+ may transfer award to a child or grandchild.)
- Receive complete orientation and training/support to ensure success
- Create meaningful life-long relationships while serving your community
- Continue learning about yourself, your team, and our community
What type of volunteers join this program?
- College students
- Long-time ACC volunteers
- New residents of Sacramento
- Family caregivers
- ...and more!
Am I eligible?
- At least 17 years of age
- High School Diploma
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Pass FBI/Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry Checks
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have e-mail
About ACC Senior Services
7334 Park City Drive, Sacramento, CA 95831, US
The mission of ACC Senior Services (ACC) is to promote the general welfare and enhance the quality of life for our community by identifying, developing, and providing culturally sensitive health and social services for older adults. ACC is steeped in ethnically diverse traditions of mutual assistance and selfless giving, a critical cornerstone to its success at making good on its promises to provide programs that benefit older adults in the community.
ACC was founded in 1971. The purpose of the center is to provide a central site for the community to address needs, issues, provide services for the elderly and develop programs to support the community. The ACC's primary program is a skilled nursing facility that provides 24-hour care to its residents. ACC welcomes volunteers to accomplish its mission and is committed to: engaging volunteers at all levels of ACC, including visible leadership roles like teaching classes and serving on committes and the board, encouraging partnerships between volunteers and staff in achieving ACC's mission, offering opportunities for volunteers to be challenged by their work and see the results of their efforts, embracing volunteers as members of the ACC family, matching individual interests and skills with volunteer jobs, and training volunteers according to the responsibilities of each volunteer position.
7334 Park City DriveSacramento, CA 95831
- Elder care
- Veteran Care
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 450 hours from 9/1/2019 through 8/31/2020.
- HS diploma, US citizen or permanent resident, pass background check, reliable transportation