Aquaponics/Hydroponics Maintenance and Planting Volunteers
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereWashington DC Metro AreaWashington, DC 20008
The volunteer will work alongside the Project Coordinator for Urban Food Production to learn how to maintain, clean, and plant in UDC’s aquaponics and hydroponics facilities Through hands on experiences, volunteers will gain valuable insight about aquaponics and hydroponics while being extremely helpful to the maintenance and day-to-day operations of these facilities.
There will be training (including Standard Operating Procedures) provided for onboarding volunteers by the Project Coordinator for Urban Food Production or another staff member when the project coordinator is unavailable.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
* Perform routine water quality testing and log information on site.
* Clean system components as needed following SOPs with supervision
* Learn about aquaponics design and operation alongside Project Coordinator for Urban Food Production
* Help with planting from seed/seedling from one growing media to aquaponics/hydroponics systems
* Help with harvest of mature plants from systems following SOPs
* Learn about aquaponics/hyrdroponics operation and planting techniques alongside the Program Coordinator for Urban Food Production
* Experience with gardening, agriculture, or natural sciences
* Experience with or great desire to learn about hydroponics/aquaponics
* Ability to following standard operating procedures
* UDC Van Ness Campus - 4200 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008
* East Capitol Urban Farm - 5901 East Capitol St. NE, Washington, DC 20019
* UDC Bertie Backus Campus - 5171 South Dakota Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20017
(please specify interest - maintenance, planting, or both - and preferred location in your application)
- Urban Planning
- Aquarium Maintenance
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training