Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services.
Sanctuary for Families is currently seeking volunteers to assist with the Children's Program at Sarah Burke House (SBH), Sanctuary’s state-of-the-art transitional shelter in the Bronx. SBH provides safe and comfortable housing for a maximum of 58 families each night, as well as an array of comprehensive social services to survivors of domestic violence and their children.
The Children’s Program at SBH is currently seeking an energetic student intern who is interested in working with children. This position is available immediately, through the end of December on Monday-Friday afternoons between the hours of 3-6pm. There is an option of continuing into the spring and summer if interested. This internship would be appropriate for an undergraduate college student with an interest in early childhood education, elementary education, or social work.
- Assist with the after-school program geared for children in grades K-8
- Create and facilitate activities for children
- Provide support with homework assignments and help improve skills in identified areas of need
- Intern must be available 3 or 4 days a week, Monday through Friday from 3-6pm
- Experience working with children
- Respect for confidentiality
- Patience and understanding
How to Apply:
To apply for this internship, please e-mail Leon Jones, Coordinator of Volunteer Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title "Children's Program Intern".
- Child Care
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training