As a C.H.O.I.C.E. mentor, it's not only about spending time with kids. You will also help them establish and achieve both personal and career goals.
Being a C.H.O.I.C.E. mentor....
...means changing a life. It means representing Foundation for C.H.O.I.C.E. at Roosevelt high school, where you’ll volunteer your time to one at-risk, high school Junior or Senior for one whole school year. You’ll establish and uphold a continuing relationship with your mentee, including weekly meetings at their school and participation in the supplemental program guide provided by Foundation for C.H.O.I.C.E. The overarching goal is to secure college entry for your mentee and to show that, with the proper guidance, it’s possible for disadvantaged students to take the next step toward a better future.
A Great C.H.O.I.C.E. mentor...
* Possesses good listening skills
* Is responsible, dependable, considerate, and optimistic
* Has the ability to show their student new opportunities and challenges and provide them the inspiration to realize their dreams and goals
* Not only spends with their student, but also invests in their lives by helping them achieve personal and career goals
* Is a structured, one-on-one relationship and partnership that focuses on the needs of the student
* Fosters caring and supporting relationships
* Encourages students to develop and reach their fullest potential
* Helps students develop their own vision for the future
* Is a strategy to develop active community partnerships
C.H.O.I.C.E. mentors must...
* Be at least 21 years of age
* Be a college graduate or currently enrolled (exceptions can be made for certain experience levels)
* Complete a mentor application and interview
* Pass a background and reference check
* Submit a copy of their driver’s license
* Complete three hours of mentor training
* Commit to a mentee for a minimum of one year, including attending at least one Career Shadow outing, supervising two entrepreneurial projects, and meeting with the student for at least one hour per week for an entire school year.
Mentor Duties and Responsibilities:
* Encourage your student to stay in school and plan for the future
* Use non-threatening, neutral content to begin and build a relationship with your student
* Reinforce the importance of having a job throughout your student’s high school career
* Help your student with job applications and mock interviews with our Research a Business project
* Reinforce to your student the importance of the SAT, ACT, and PSAT (if they do not qualify for test and prep course funding, we can help)
* Reinforce to your student the importance of college applications (we can help with associated costs)
* Approximately once per week over the course of the school year, participate in hour- long face-to-face meetings with your student
* Provide Mentor Meeting Evaluation Form once a week to Mentor Director
* Receive ongoing feedback, support, advice, problem solving opportunities, and training from Foundation For C.H.O.I.C.E. representative
* Do everything within your power to achieve all benchmarks and goals set forth for student success
* Inform the school and C.H.O.I.C.E. of any misconduct, concerns, or any other issues that may arise
* Utilize forms provided by C.H.O.I.C.E. to ensure consistency and accuracy of measurable results
* Consent to a background check by C.H.O.I.C.E. and your student’s school(s).
We will match qualified mentors with their mentees based on all information gathered by all parties.
Are you ready to make a difference? For more information about our mentorship program or how to get involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through Volunteer Match! We cannot wait to hear from you!
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 27 week program, once a week meeting with student
- Mentor a Student a Roosevelt...
- High School Mentors Needed
- Help us Create a Few Google Forms!
- Volunteer Assistant
- Create a Cause Video
- Volunteer Mentors Needed for...
- Social Ambassadors
- Event Photographer!
- Event Planning Director
- Volunteer Tutor Needed for High...
- Monthly Cause Content Writer
- Mentor a Disadvantaged High...
- Videographer- Create a Cause Video