43% of San Mateo County students fail to read proficiently by 3rd grade, when at-risk behaviors begin to kick in. The consequences to our children and our community are extraordinary.
Make a measurable impact in the life of a child through Experience Corps Bay Area.
Founded in San Francisco in 1998, Experience Corps Bay Area seeks volunteers age 50+ to tutor small groups of South San Francisco school children at Spruce Elementary and Los Cerritos Elementary.
EXPERIENCE CORPS BAY AREA is a time-tested, innovative, inter-generational tutoring and mentoring program that has been serving local schools and students since 1998. Our volunteers, age 50+, help students in grades K-3 gain the reading skills needed to succeed in school. No previous teaching or classroom experience is required as we provide all volunteers with the background and training needed to succeed.
Help improve the literacy skills of South San Francisco students and make schools and communities more successful!
A winning volunteer experience is based on realistic expectations. What we need from you:
- A desire to work with young students and help them succeed in school
- High school graduate/GED required
- Conversational English required
- Background check
- TB test
- Commit as little as 4 hours/week
The benefits of volunteering may be enormous to you.
- Experience Corps volunteers change lives: Make a meaningful, lasting difference for children and schools in high-poverty neighborhoods by building critical literacy skills.
- Serve the community: Join other 50-plus volunteers who are building literacy, supporting schools and remaining a vital part of the community.
- Succeed in tutoring / mentoring: We provide proven support, skills and confidence-building to help you succeed and feel fulfilled by giving children the chance they deserve to succeed in school and in life. Ninety-six percent (96%) of our volunteers say the work gives them a strong sense of purpose.
- Benefit from improved overall health: Experience Corps tutors experience improved physical, mental, and social well-being.
To volunteer or ask for additional information: Respond to this post, call 415-759-2223, email email@example.com, or, visit us at http://www.experiencecorpsbayarea.org/get-involved/volunteer/.
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 50
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 4 hours per week
- Training provided.