EKARI FOUNDATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS - BOARD MEMBER
EKARI Foundation educates Malawians toward self-dependency. The b oard of d irectors is seeking a passionate individual to join as a member of the board . The board of directors is responsible for the ongoing review of all EKARI initiatives and making recommendations to enhance the quality a nd future viability of the board and committees . This role will work closely with the Exec utive Director, Board President and other board members to identify and achieve overall EKARI goals.
- Being a knowledgeable resource regarding the history, vision, mission, values, programs, goals, financial reports, and policies of EKARI Foundation.
- Network and to serve as an advocate within their own communities (work, home, family, friends, etc.) by promoting the work of EKARI Foundation in order to increase EKARI Foundation’s support and donor base as well as enhance its public standing.
- Serve as an active fundraiser in order to assure that EKARI Foundation has adequate resources to carry on its program work and to meet the challenges and opportunities necessary for expansion.
- Advise on possible grant opportunities and other income sources.
- Support EKARI Foundation financially. Each board member is highly encouraged to make a yearly or recurring monthly donation to EKARI Foundation. At minimum, each board member is asked to sponsor a student and sponsor a 'table’ at our annual event.
- Approve the annual budget and ensure that proper financial controls are in place based on proposals from Finance Committee.
- Actively participate in the overall planning process and assist in implementing and monitoring program goals based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Advise on the formation of new programs based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Review and discuss the effectiveness of existing programs and strengthen or discard programs as necessary based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Discuss and update as necessary the vision, mission, values of the organization.
- Serve in a special capacity, either actively on a committee and/or in a leadership role, reflecting the Board member’s talents.
- Prepare for and attend board meetings on a regular basis.
- Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance.
Who You Are
- Passionate about EKARI's mission, vision, and values
- Experienced in overall nonprofit leadership
- 3-5 hours per week on role-specific duties
- Serve at minimum (1) three-year term of service. Board members may be reappointed for additional terms of service.
- Attend monthly board meetings and relevant committee meetings if applicable
- Child Development
- Financial Literacy
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Professional Development
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- minimum 1 year, 3-5+ hours per week
- Prior board experience preferred