EKARI FOUNDATION BOARD TREASURER
EKARI builds knowledge and skills in youth and communities - in Malawi, Africa - so that they can lift themselves out of extreme poverty. The board of directors is seeking a passionate individual to join as a member of the board. The board of directors is responsible for the ongoing review of all EKARI initiatives and making recommendations to enhance the quality and future viability of the board and committees. Prior board experience is a plus, but not required. Ability to attend board meetings and additional meetings as needed. Ability to volunteer 3-5 hours per week as a member of a working board.
We believe in the singular power of education to break the cycle of extreme poverty. Every person, at any age, has the right to the knowledge and skills they need to become self-sufficient. EKARI works to propel these ideals forward within the Phalombe District of Malawi - a region facing among the highest levels of persistent inequality in the world. We fill a significant gap by providing quality, comprehensive, long-term educational support beginning with youth, through early adulthood, and into continuing adult education. EKARI’s comprehensive programs stretch from direct financial support of youth tuition, to support outside of the classroom, and continuing education and vocational training for adults. Our ultimate goal is to enable youth and communities to thrive, with the freedom to determine their own futures.
Board Treasurer Responsibilities
- Provide general financial oversight.
- Organize and run quarterly finance committee meetings.
- Oversee bookkeeper's work on monthly U.S. finance reports.
- Send and record quarterly wire transfers to Malawi.
- Monitor U.S. bank accounts.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Being a knowledgeable resource regarding the history, vision, mission, values, programs, goals, financial reports, and policies of EKARI Foundation.
- Network and to serve as an advocate within their own communities (work, home, family, friends, etc.) by promoting the work of EKARI Foundation in order to increase EKARI Foundation’s support and donor base as well as enhance its public standing.
- Serve as an active fundraiser in order to assure that EKARI Foundation has adequate resources to carry on its program work and to meet the challenges and opportunities necessary for expansion.
- Advise on possible grant opportunities and other income sources.
- Approve the annual budget and ensure that proper financial controls are in place based on proposals from Finance Committee.
- Actively participate in the overall planning process and assist in implementing and monitoring program goals based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Advise on the formation of new programs based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Review and discuss the effectiveness of existing programs and strengthen or discard programs as necessary based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Discuss and update as necessary the vision, mission, values of the organization.
- Serve in a special capacity, either actively on a committee and/or in a leadership role, reflecting the Board member’s talents.
- Prepare for and attend board meetings on a regular basis.
- Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance.
Who You Are
- Passionate about EKARI's mission, vision, and values
- Experienced in overall nonprofit leadership
What About Fundraising?
- Support EKARI Foundation financially. Each board member is highly encouraged to make a yearly or recurring monthly donation to EKARI Foundation. At minimum, each board member is asked to sponsor a student and sponsor a 'table’ at our annual event.
- 3-5 hours per week on role-specific duties
- Serve at minimum a three-year term of service. Board members may be reappointed for additional terms of service.
- Attend monthly board meetings and relevant committee meetings if applicable
What's in it for Me?
Join our dynamic team of dedicated individuals and have your own hands-on experience in learning what it means to strengthen a community, grow a generation of empowered individuals, and build a plan to further our mission in a sustainable fashion. Bring your talents, experience, and knowledge to the table and help us build a strategic plan and programs that will change lives. We are a collaborative group and value an innovative approach to bettering communities in a sustainable way, so not only will you help us grow, hopefully you'll learn something new each time we gather.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- minimum 2 year, 3-5 hours per week
- Prior board experience a plus