**If interested, please fill out an application on our website: http://www.ekarifoundation.org/volunteer-seattle/
EKARI FOUNDATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS - BOARD MEMBER
EKARI Foundation educates Malawians toward self-dependency. The board of directors is seeking a passionate individual to join as a member of the board. The board of directors is responsible for the ongoing review of all EKARI initiatives and making recommendations to enhance the quality and future viability of the board and committees. This role will Prior Board experience a plus Ability to attend board meetings and additional meetings as needed Ability to volunteer 3-5+ hours per week
Founded in September 2009, EKARI Foundation is a grassroots, community-based, nonprofit organization tackling extreme poverty in rural communities in the Phalombe district of Malawi in sub-saharan Africa. We focus on three areas of development; youth education, adult literacy, and sustainable livelihoods (otherwise referred to as economic community development). Across all three areas of work, we provide access to the educational training and resources required for our beneficiaries to obtain a job or become an entrepreneur and become self-reliant.
- Being a knowledgeable resource regarding the history, vision, mission, values, programs, goals, financial reports, and policies of EKARI Foundation.
- Network and to serve as an advocate within their own communities (work, home, family, friends, etc.) by promoting the work of EKARI Foundation in order to increase EKARI Foundation’s support and donor base as well as enhance its public standing.
- Serve as an active fundraiser in order to assure that EKARI Foundation has adequate resources to carry on its program work and to meet the challenges and opportunities necessary for expansion.
- Advise on possible grant opportunities and other income sources.
- Approve the annual budget and ensure that proper financial controls are in place based on proposals from Finance Committee.
- Actively participate in the overall planning process and assist in implementing and monitoring program goals based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Advise on the formation of new programs based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Review and discuss the effectiveness of existing programs and strengthen or discard programs as necessary based on proposals from Program Committee.
- Discuss and update as necessary the vision, mission, values of the organization.
- Serve in a special capacity, either actively on a committee and/or in a leadership role, reflecting the Board member’s talents.
- Prepare for and attend board meetings on a regular basis.
- Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance.
Who You Are
- Passionate about EKARI's mission, vision, and values
- Experienced in overall nonprofit leadership
What About Fundraising?
- Support EKARI Foundation financially. Each board member is highly encouraged to make a yearly or recurring monthly donation to EKARI Foundation. At minimum, each board member is asked to sponsor a student and sponsor a 'table’ at our annual event.
- 3-5 hours per week on role-specific duties
- Serve at minimum (1) three-year term of service. Board members may be reappointed for additional terms of service.
- Attend monthly board meetings and relevant committee meetings if applicable
What's in it for Me?
Join our dynamic team of dedicated individuals and have your own hands-on experience in learning what it means to strengthen a community, grow a generation of empowered individuals, and build a plan to further our mission in a sustainable fashion. Bring your talents, experience, and knowledge to the table and help us build a strategic plan and programs that will change lives. We are a collaborative group and value an innovative approach to bettering communities in a sustainable way, so not only will you help us grow, hopefully you'll learn something new each time we gather.
- Child Development
- Financial Literacy
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Professional Development
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- minimum 1 year, 3-5+ hours per week
- Prior board experience preferred