Everglades National Park is the largest subtropical wilderness in the United States, covering 1.5 million acres of South Florida! The Park protects an unparalleled landscape that provides an important habitat for numerous rare and endangered species like the manatee, American crocodile, and the elusive Florida panther.
Park rangers are the key interpretive guides to helping our visitors experience the Park’s amazing natural and cultural resources. We are looking for volunteers to join our team of Interpretive Guides for this upcoming winter season in Shark Valley! These individuals will assist with Visitor Center operations.
Volunteers will be provided with training by Everglades National Park, and will work under the guidance and support the Shark Valley Supervisory Ranger and Interpretation staff.
Volunteer duties may include the following
- Provide personal, interpretive services to park visitors
- Provide visitors with a general orientation to park recreational opportunities and natural and cultural resources at the Shark Valley Visitor Center
- Assist with opening and closing procedures at the Shark Valley Visitor Center
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Enjoy working with the public
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of all ages
- Knowledge and/or a willingness to learn about the natural and cultural resources of Everglades National Park
- Flexible based upon the availability of the volunteer
- Individual should be able to commit to a regular schedule (same hours/days per week)
- Minimum 4 hours per week
- Please contact if you have any questions
- Occasional "strenuous" labor and activities, which may include: standing for long periods of time and walking short distances
- Work in conditions typical of Southern Florida: heat, humidity, mosquitoes
- May encounter poisonous plants and snakes
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Participate in Everglades National Park seasonal training
- Participate in Shark Valley district training
- Receive a volunteer uniform, provided by the park
- Gain skills and experience in interpretation, public speaking, customer service and visitor interaction
- Learn more about the operation of the National Park Service
- Opportunities to meet members of the community and visitors from around the world
- Opportunities to share knowledge and passions with other individuals
- Opportunities to meet other park employees and volunteers
- Opportunities to gain volunteer recognition items, based upon cumulative volunteer hours
- This position does not include housing.
Click here to learn more about Everglades National Park.
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, based upon the availability of volunteer