98 people are interested
Teach English to an Adult!
ORGANIZATION: Guadalupe School
Please visit the new page to apply.
98 people are interested
Adult Education utilizes volunteer tutors to teach English as a Second Language to low-income, immigrant adults. Instruction takes place in small groups (2-4 people per group). Lessons are mainly competency-based, with a focus on life-skills rather than grammar rules.
The volunteer will be assigned a regular group, with whom s/he will meet one evening each week, from 7-9 PM. Students come to school two evenings per week, which means that each tutor has a counterpart, who meets with the group on the opposite night.
Upon arriving at the school, the tutor finds a lesson plan and all necessary materials prepared. The volunteer and his/her students work through the lesson plan; the professional staff is present to assist in any way needed.
Tutors do not need:
- To be proficient in a second language. The professional staff will assist the tutor in learning communication strategies to bridge language gaps.
- To plan lessons or create materials. The professional staff will prepare a complete lesson plan, ready for the volunteer to teach to the student group.
- To have any teaching experience. Guidance will be provided by the professional staff; the lesson plans are carefully detailed, so anyone can present the material, regardless of experience.
- Willingness on the part of the volunteer tutor to follow the lesson plan supplied by the professional staff.
- A commitment of one night per week for at least three months. (An occasional absence is not a problem - a substitute will be found to teach the absent tutor’s group.)
- Participation in a 1-hour tutor orientation and at least one hour of observation prior to beginning volunteer work. Orientations are held every Tuesday and Thursday night at 6:00 PM. Please expect to stay until 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.
**Due to COVID-19, we are continually making adjustments to our operations to keep our students and volunteers safe and healthy. For now, proof of vaccination is required. Thank you!
About Guadalupe School
1385 North 1200 West, SALT LAKE CTY, UT 84116, US
Transforming lives through education.
Guadalupe School is a community of students, staff and volunteers who believe that education is the greatest tool to fight the cycle of poverty. We are five programs within one school, each reaching individuals and families living in poverty. To all who enroll in our programs, we provide a sense of connection, a welcome place to learn and a chance to find better opportunities.
Guadalupe School1385 North 1200 WestSalt Lake City, UT 84116
July 18, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- Orientation or Training
- At least 1-2 hours, once per week for a minimum commitment of 3 months.