Teach English to an Adult!
74 people are interested
Adult Education utilizes volunteer tutors to teach English as a Second Language to low-income, immigrant adults. Instruction takes place in small groups (2-4 people per group). Lessons are mainly competency-based, with a focus on life-skills rather than grammar rules.
The volunteer will be assigned a regular group, with whom s/he will meet one evening each week, from 7-9 PM. Students come to school two evenings per week, which means that each tutor has a counterpart, who meets with the group on the opposite night.
Upon arriving at the school, the tutor finds a lesson plan and all necessary materials prepared. The volunteer and his/her students work through the lesson plan; the professional staff is present to assist in any way needed.
Tutors do not need:
- To be proficient in a second language. The professional staff will assist the tutor in learning communication strategies to bridge language gaps.
- To plan lessons or create materials. The professional staff will prepare a complete lesson plan, ready for the volunteer to teach to the student group.
- To have any teaching experience. Guidance will be provided by the professional staff; the lesson plans are carefully detailed, so anyone can present the material, regardless of experience.
- Willingness on the part of the volunteer tutor to follow the lesson plan supplied by the professional staff.
- A commitment of one night per week for at least three months. (An occasional absence is not a problem - a substitute will be found to teach the absent tutor’s group.)
- Participation in a 1-hour tutor orientation and at least one hour of observation prior to beginning volunteer work. Orientations are held every Tuesday and Thursday night at 6:00 PM. Please expect to stay until 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.
We'll work with your schedule.
Guadalupe School1385 North 1200 WestSalt Lake City, UT 84116
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- Orientation or Training
- At least 1-2 hours, once per week