This is a volunteer position - approximately 8 hours a week
Location of work: GMTRC barn
Must have at least 2 years of horse experience and be comfortable working with horses in a safe manner
Must possess interpersonal skills for working with a variety of people
Must possess critical thinking and judgement skills to access others experience
Understand the principles of horse behavior and leader awareness to horse behavior.
- Volunteer Barn Assistant to VC will need to be at the barn during most of the riding lessons to guide volunteers and make sure there are enough and appropriate volunteers for the lessons.
- Volunteer Barn Assistant to VC is responsible to be the first judge of good fit and safety issues related to volunteers handling horses and working with riders.
- Volunteer Barn Assistant to VC will be present for all orientations and mock lessons (training and recruitment) to assist with those activities. Orientations are the first Saturday of the month from 1-3pm. Volunteer mock lessons are the second Wednesday of the month 6:30-8:30pm.
- Volunteer Barn Assistant to VC will talk to volunteers and riders, along with rider families. Will need to provide feedback or encouragement when necessary.
- Volunteer Barn Assistant to VC will observe volunteers as they practice in order to judge their abilities (final decision made by the GMTRC staff and lead instructor).
Recruit and Train
- Monthly (2 Hrs.) - Plan and facilitate volunteer orientations
- Monthly (3 Hrs.)- Identify volunteer competencies based on program standards
- Monthly (1 Hr.)- Progress volunteers based on competencies
Maintain and Retain volunteers (in conjunction with the Lead Instructor) including:
- Weekly (8 Hrs.) - Attend weekday classes to monitor volunteers, as needed
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours a week