At Advocate Hospice we believe in making every day count. Volunteers perform a vital role on our health care team. Their selfless dedication of time and talent makes a significant contribution to the quality of care provided to patients, caregivers and families dealing with end-of-life issues. The Advocate Hospice volunteer program provides prospective volunteers with the skills to listen in a healing way and relate to those who are dying with compassion, empathy and understanding. It also covers the history and philosophy of hospice, grief and bereavement, spiritual awareness and patient care. Hospice volunteers are part of a team that provides a caring and supportive presence to terminally ill patients and their families who are facing difficulties at the end of life.
- For patients and families: Volunteers offer steady sources of comfort and support through respite for caregivers, running errands or simply reading a book to the patient.
- For the bereaved: Volunteers offer grief support.
- For our office: Volunteers assist with data entry in the office or work on special projects and events. This is a very flexible way to help in your community.
Annual Training for 2018
Fridays, March 2, 9 & 23 1pm-5pm (all days required)
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible. Avg 2-4 hrs per week, monthly mtg
- 16 hr training, background & finger printing,immunization, flu shot, interview