Program: The Campaign for Working Families (CWF) facilitates expanded income security to low and moderate wage earners in the Philadelphia and South Jersey regions by increasing their access to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other federal credits, low cost financial services and products and public benefits. During the tax season, CWF runs a number of VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) tax sites throughout Philadelphia and South Jersey, as well as Delaware and Montgomery Counties, all of which are managed by paid staff and supported by volunteer Tax Preparers.
Reports to: CWF Site Management Team
Purpose of Position: As a Tax Preparer, you will assist working families in preparing their Federal and State tax return utilizing tax preparation software. Tax Preparers are trained to accurately apply tax law and identify any tax benefits for which taxpayers qualify.
Extent of Volunteerism: Seasonal, Part-Time. Mid-January to April 15, 2017. Training occurs in January 2017. Candidates must be available to attend required training(s).
Locations: Philadelphia; South Jersey, Delaware and Montgomery Counties, PA
- Certify at the Basic or Advanced IRS level of tax return preparation (free training provided)
- Attend training to become proficient in the use of online software program
- Interview taxpayer to determine if all income, deductions and allowable credits are claimed
- Prepare only those tax returns for which training was provided
- Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for the services volunteers provide
- Maintain strict confidentiality of taxpayer information and documentation
- Ensure on-site quality review is performed on completed returns prior to taxpayer signature
- Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the taxpayer
- Follow CWF procedures as instructed at training and tax site locations
- No previous experience necessary!
- Requires a detail oriented, organized, efficient, individual who is able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Attend live training or utilize Link & Learn online training system. If returning volunteer, must re-certify for current tax year
- Quality Reviewer volunteers must complete special Quality Review training and the pass the IRS Volunteer tax preparer certification exam at the Advanced level
- Must be computer proficient and able to efficiently utilize tax software. Willingness to work with the public, volunteers, stakeholders, partners in a helpful and supportive manner.
- Must be willing to assist all taxpayers within VITA/TCE scope
- Friendly, dependable and flexible
How to Apply:
Get Registered: Please register at http://cwfphilly.volunteerhub.com. The VolunteerHub portal will keep you up to date on the steps to becoming a volunteer Tax Preparer! trainings will be posted on the site in late December.
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Service Assistance
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 24 hours over 12 week tax season