The Santa Cruz County Outdoor Science School is seeking energetic and responsible high school volunteers throughout the school year to serve as Cabin Leaders to small groups of 5th and 6th grade students. Each Cabin Leader is paired with a Naturalist who they assist on trail and during field studies. Cabin Leaders help ensure the student safety during daily activities and overnight in the cabins. All Cabin Leaders participate in Training the first and second day of the program before students arrive. Cabin Leaders arrive at 4pm the first day of the program week and are dismissed at 12:00pm on the final day program.
- Earn up to 60 Community Service hours in one week
- Earn 3 college credits by enrolling in ED80, an Education & Service Learning class at Cabrillo College. The course is free for high school students and can be taken in person or online.
- Gain skills in Leadership and Risk Management during Cabin Leader Training
- Have fun working with 5th and 6th grade students at the Outdoor Science School
- Outdoor Recreation
- Child Care
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Monday at 4:00pm through Friday at 12:00pm
- An interest in Service Learning and supervising a group of 10-12 5th grade students.