The Learning Community, an innovative urban public school in Rhode Island, offers The Education Fellows Program, a one-year opportunity for recent college graduates who seek professional experience in urban education and want to make a contribution to the lives of young learners.
Education Fellows will make a clear and targeted impact on cohorts of students and their dreams for the future.
The Education Fellows Program enables enthusiastic, creative and dedicated individuals who are exploring careers in public education to fulfill meaningful roles in a dynamic urban school alongside experienced professional teachers and administrators. Fellows serve as academic tutors and get to see firsthand strategies in the classroom, at recess and after school that will help close the achievement gap.
FINANCIAL AWARD: Education Fellows receive a stipend, health insurance and a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,775 after completing their term.
TRAINING: Education Fellows receive intensive ongoing professional development from practicing experts in education. Fellows attend 3-6 weeks of training before teaching small groups and 2-3 hours of individualized training each week.
* excellent academic track record including college degree
* strong interest in public education, schools and out-of-school-time learning
* strong interest in social / emotional student growth of all students
* strong desire to learn and grow as a professional
* experience working with children and families
* demonstrated leadership ability
* excellent oral, written and organizational skills
* flexible, curious and goal‐oriented personality
* sense of humor
* willingness to work as part of a dynamic team
* ability to take feedback and incorporate it quickly
* Spanish language skills a plus
Applicants must commit to an academic year of service beginning in Mid-September 2016 through July 2017, and must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or permanent resident.
AmeriCorps positions include extensive training, health coverage, a living stipend, child care allowance, student loan forbearance, and other benefits. Members will be eligible for an end‐of‐service education award of $5,775 upon completion of 1,700 hours of service. For more information: http://www.americorps.gov
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
or to: Education Fellows Program
The Learning Community
21 Lincoln Avenue, Central Falls, RI 02863
No phone calls. The Learning Community is AA/EOE. All interviews are conducted in accessible locations.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 1700 hours over one year