EAL classroom assistant
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where95 Ellen stWinnipeg, Manitoba CA
The NLI Classroom Assistant provides extra support to students as they complete classroom assignments. They assist the teacher in classroom management and program delivery, occasionally taking on leadership roles so the teacher can focus on assessment and other necessary tasks.
NLI Classroom Assistants work in IRCOM’s Newcomer Literacy Initiative (NLI) classrooms. These classes are designed to help newcomer adults improve their English skills. IRCOM has classes at the Canadian Language Benchmark level Foundations, 1/2, and 3/4.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Help students complete tasks
* Follow directions as given by the teacher
* Build relationships with the students
* Take initiative to engage with students and assignments
* Maintain good communication with IRCOM staff
* Ask IRCOM staff for assistance as needed and appropriate
* Demonstrate proper English grammar and vocabulary at all times
* Minimize distractions (turn off cell phones)
This position requires volunteers to come once a week for two and a half hours. The minimum time commitment is for three months, however volunteers who can commit to staying until the end of the school year are preferred.
Skills and Qualifications
* Clear communication skills
* Must be patient and kind
* Must have an adequate grasp of the English language
* Demonstrated experience working in an educational setting and/or with newcomers an asset, but not required
* Willingness to learn and receive constructive feedback
* Must be sensitive to cultural differences and the impact of previous experiences on students
* Must complete required trainings provided by IRCOM (see below)
* Must complete a satisfactory criminal record check and child abuse registry check
* Must be 18 years or older
Orientation and Training
All NLI Classroom Assistants must participate in a general orientation to IRCOM’s mission, objectives, values, and programs.
All NLI Classroom Assistants must participate in an introduction to the Canadian Language Benchmark system as well as training in working with adult EAL students.
All NLI Classroom Assistants are encouraged to participate in other trainings offered to IRCOM volunteers throughout the year. You also have the option to request specific trainings you come across that are relevant to your position with IRCOM.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours, one time a week