Program Description: The Unaccompanied Minors Program at Catholic Charities Community Services is looking for a dedicated volunteer! Our office provides legal services both to immigrant children in federal custody as well as to children who have been released from custody to the New York City area.
To help us with this goal, we are looking to bring on a volunteer who is interested in learning about and engaging in our office functions to benefit immigrant children.
Potential volunteer responsibilities include:
- Assisting with Know Your Rights (KYR) presentations for children.
- Assisting with Legal Orientation Program for Custodians (LOPC) presentations for the families of immigrant children.
- Making legal referrals for children, through mailings, phone calls, and online systems.
- Entering clients' information into our database.
- Supporting Migration Assistants with coordinating Detained Dockets.
- Assisting attorneys with documents in preparation for their court dates.
- Other administrative assistance.
In addition, volunteers are encouraged to suggest new ways in which they could use their skills or expertise to benefit our clients.
Qualifications: Volunteers for the Unaccompanied Minors Program must be flexible, patient, compassionate, and interested in working to help detained children. Applicant should have a strong interest in social justice.
Fluency in Spanish is beneficial but not required.
Additional Information: Due to the nature of our work, Catholic Charities Community Services requires that all volunteers submit to a background check and attend a volunteer orientation, in addition to interviewing with the Unaccompanied Minors Program.
3 months or longer
2 day per week
Start and end dates
- Office Management
- Program Management
- People Skills
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- up to 3 months or longer