Children's program assistant
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where95 Ellen stWinnipeg, Manitoba CA
Children’s Program Assistants provide additional opportunities for children to interact with positive role models, building relationships with responsible adults who care about them and are invested in them. They also provide additional support to IRCOM staff and expand the range of programming IRCOM is able to provide to our children.
Children’s Program Assistants operate in IRCOM’s Children’s Program as part of our After School Programs (ASP). Children’s Program runs from 4-6pm Monday to Friday with some exceptions.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Act as a positive role model at all times
* Actively engage with children and participate in program activities
* Build relationships with the children in a way appropriate to their age
* Maintain good communication with IRCOM staff
* Assist with set up and clean up
* Be familiar with program guidelines and help enforce them as needed and appropriate
* Ask IRCOM staff for assistance as needed and appropriate
* Speak English during program times
* Minimize distractions (turn off cell phones)
* Sign in and out of each shift
* If under 18, must check in with staff mentor at the end of each shift
This position requires volunteers to come once a week for two hours. The minimum time commitment is for three months.
Skills and Qualifications
* Must be friendly and approachable
* Must be sensitive to cultural differences and the impact of previous experiences on children
* Must be flexible, as programs sometimes change last minute
* Experience working with children an asset, but not required
* Experience as a newcomer or working with newcomers an asset, but not required
* Must complete required trainings provided by IRCOM (see below)
* Must complete a satisfactory criminal record check and child abuse registry check
* Must be 15 years or older
Orientation and Training
All Children’s Program Assistants must participate in a general orientation to IRCOM’s mission, objectives, values, and programs.
All Children’s Program Assistants must participate in a leadership training focused on how to work effectively with children, as well as an introduction to Children’s Program guidelines.
All Children’s Program Assistants are encouraged to participate in other trainings offered to IRCOM volunteers throughout the year. You also have the option to request specific trainings you come across that are relevant to your position with IRCOM.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours, one time a week