Child care assistant
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where95 Ellen stWinnipeg, Manitoba CA
The Child Care Assistant provides extra eyes and ears in IRCOM’s childcare program to ensure the safety of all the children. As you play and interact with the children you become another safe person for them.
Child Care Assistants work in IRCOM’s Child Care Program (CCP) with children from 6 months to 6 years. Most shifts take place during daytime hours (9-11:30 or 1-3:30) at the same time as our English classes; however there may be occasional evening and weekend opportunities as other programs happen.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Interact and play with the children in a safe and positive manner
* Follow CCP guidelines for positive discipline
* Interact with parents in a friendly and supportive manner
* Assist with interpretation where applicable
* Occasionally assist the children with planned activities
* Maintain daily communication with IRCOM staff
* Ask IRCOM staff for assistance as needed and appropriate
* Assist with set up and clean up, including serving snack
This position requires volunteers to come once a week for two and a half hours. The minimum time commitment is three months.
Skills and Qualifications
* Must be good at teamwork
* Must be patient and kind
* Willingness to learn and receive constructive feedback
* Must complete required trainings provided by IRCOM (see below)
* First Aid Level C training is an asset, but not required
* Must complete a satisfactory criminal record check and child abuse registry check
Orientation and Training
All Child Care Assistants must participate in a general orientation to IRCOM’s mission, objectives, values, and programs.
All Child Care Assistants must read CCP’s orientation manual, including the child abuse policy and behavioural management policy. A form stating these policies have been read must be signed.
All Child Care Assistants must participate in a training on Early Childhood Development.
All Child Care Assistants are encouraged to participate in other trainings offered to IRCOM volunteers throughout the year. You also have the option to request specific trainings you come across that are relevant to your position with IRCOM
- Child Development
- Child Care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours, one time a week