WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where95 Ellen stWinnipeg, Manitoba R3A 1S8CA
The purpose of our Homework Tutors is to provide additional, one-on-one assistance to youth in grades 7-12 as they complete their homework. The goal is to increase academic success and ultimately improve a youth’s chances of graduating and going on to post-secondary education.
Homework Tutors function in IRCOM’s Homework and Education for Youth (HEY) program, as part of our After School Programs (ASP). HEY runs from 4-8pm Monday-Thursday and from 4-6pm on Fridays. Homework Tutors are encouraged to build meaningful and lasting relationships with our youth by helping them complete their homework. Volunteers are not expected to be experts or to have all the answers, but to be able to use the resources available together with the youth to create a rich shared learning experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Help youth complete homework assignments
* Act as a positive role model at all times, demonstrating support for pursuing a quality education
* Build relationships with the youth
* Maintain good communication with IRCOM staff
* Help enforce program guidelines as needed and appropriate
* Ask IRCOM staff for assistance as needed and appropriate
* Speak English during program times
* Minimize distractions (turn off cell phones)
* Sign in and out of each shift
This position requires volunteers to come once a week for two hours during program times. The minimum time commitment is for three months, however volunteers who can commit to staying until the end of the high school year are preferred.
Skills and Qualifications
* Must be outgoing, able to approach youth to initiate conversation and relationship
* Must be patient and compassionate, sensitive to youth’s previous experiences in educational settings
* Must have high school diploma or equivalent
* Ability to tutor in at least one high school subject
* Demonstrated experience working in an educational setting and/or with newcomers an asset, but not required
* Willingness to learn and receive constructive feedback
* Must be sensitive to cultural differences and the impact of previous experiences on youth
* Experience working with youth an asset, but not required
* Must complete required trainings provided by IRCOM (see below)
* Must complete a satisfactory criminal record check and child abuse registry check
* Must be 18 years or older
Orientation and Training
All Homework Tutors must participate in a general orientation to IRCOM’s mission, objectives, values, and programs.
All Homework Tutors must participate in a training session that focuses on tutoring tips that address some of the unique needs of IRCOM’s youth as well as HEY program guidelines.
All Homework Tutors are encouraged to participate in other trainings offered to IRCOM volunteers throughout the year. You also have the option to request specific trainings you come across that are relevant to your position with IRCOM.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours one time a week