Children and Teens in Selma Need Your Support.
Founded in 1992 and led by the YMCA of San Francisco, the successful Reach & Rise Mentoring program is being implemented at Y’s across the nation, and the YMCA of Selma is now one of 40+ Ys offering the program. This program has proven to help youth:
- Express their feelings.
- Improve school grades.
- Expect more from themselves.
- Get along better with others.
- Become more involved in enrichment programs and after-school activities.
Nearly one in five youth live in poverty and are at risk of falling prey to crime, drugs and other hurdles that could keep them from reaching a productive adulthood, obtaining an education and successfully entering the workforce, but research also shows that youth are more likely to succeed with the support of a caring adult. Help more kids and teens achieve by becoming a Reach & Rise mentor. This program:
- Connects youth ages 6 to 17 with adult mentors for 12-18 months.
- Provides one-to-one mentoring services to create safe, healthy and meaningful relationships with youth.
- Gives mentors and their mentees the opportunity to grow together through service projects, field trips and other engaging activities.
- It costs nothing to be a mentor
- You receive free training and support Locally and Nationally
- You feel good about helping a child/teen in Selma who needs a positive role model.
- You will be doing good for an entire family in Selma.
- You will qualify to receive a free YMCA membership
- Mentoring is as good for mentor's health as it is for mentees.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 Hours a week
- Positive Attitude, Willingness to Help Your Community, Brief Training Session